OT - This is what small town America is all about..... Memorial Day Service in a small Nebraska town

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - This is what small town America is all about..... Memorial Day Service in a small Nebraska town
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

It's not Model T, and it's not Hobby Related, but it is what many of us grew up with. Our small town turns out for Memorial Day Service. Think what the young people are feeling as they see and experience this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghxtsaoc8zdbm7l/Video%20May%2029%2C%2012%2057%2014%20PM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Rob, it's probably because I am a hopeless old fart, but I would have liked to have seen the kids in the band dressed a little less casually and would have liked to see them stand a little more respectfully during Taps. That said, it's the age we live in and their rendition of the National Anthem was amazing. I was in awe of their playing. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Our town has no parades anymore. Sad. Not even 4th of july. No fireworks or baseball games. Not because nobody wants it, because nobody wants to put in the time to organise anything. They are all too busy. The fire department has a pancake breakfast at the park every year since before I was around. We put all our effort into that and dont have time for organising other stuff. The small town pride here seems to be gone! Glad to see it is alive and well elsewhere. Thanks Rob.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Dick,
Our kids aren't required to be there (band), it's purely volunteer. Several of those in the band were seniors, meaning they are no longer officially in band anyway. Following this service, they get on a bus, and go to a nearby small town and do the same service. Our band director begs, cajoles and otherwise hopes enough students volunteer to have a viable group.

By the way, one of the young people in the front row of the band, a flute player, has accepted an appointment to The Air Force Academy. She and her parents attend the same Church as I, and I've followed her journey. As it turned out, she had offers from each of the service academies! I, of course, was cheering for Army, however, her parents won out, and she is going to somewhat near Air Force Academy. How's that for small town, hard working young people.

Hope you all had a good Memorial Day,
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Rob, Very nice video!

Keith Gumbinger, US Army, Berlin Crisis, Germany, 1961 to 1963.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

Thanks Rob
My Grammie belonged to the American Legion in Elkhorn Nebraska. I used to help her put American flags on the graves of the veterans in both cemeteries in town just prior to Memorial day

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 12:01 am:

Thanks, Rob. At the risk of raising inter-service rivalry, I think the Air Force Academy was the better choice.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 12:17 am:

Great video, Rob
I have put flags on the Vets graves for quite some time and will continue to do. What an honor it has been to serve under that flag.
David L Corman ETR2 US Navy Viet Nam 1969

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Thanks, Rob. That was nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:21 am:

That was great Rob, and thank you for posting. I believe Dallas summed things up perfectly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:47 am:

God bless those midwestern sense of values!

Is there really any other service academy that matters other than USNA?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Thanks for sharing that Rob. I, too, would have lobbied for the USMA but the young trumpet player from the school band played an amazing rendition of Taps. But your band has only 1 sousaphone player and a plastic one at that :o(...(I'm a recently retired sousaphone player)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 02:14 pm:

Very nice Rob. And you're right,....THAT'S what Memorial Day is all about! And I'm kind of making an assumption here, but if I'm right, I have to say,.....you've really become an expert drone pilot/photographer in a very short time! Again, nice job,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Great video and Thanks for posting a moving experience.

One thing we do have here in SoCal is many, many Memorial Day services. Our OC Club this year went to two different services with our cars.

The services were especially well done by local base commanders and special dignitaries and a moving rememberance of those service members who gave their All

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 11:58 pm:

Thank you guys.

I cleaned up the audio and added an opening (flown the night before when I was visiting Dad's grave site, and no one else was present at dusk). At the end, I tightened in on the old soldier slowly walking in.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmwtsq9m0le9p64/Video%20May%2031%2C%2012%2038%2003%20P M.mov?dl=0

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration