Bike speedometers are fine, but...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bike speedometers are fine, but...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 10:48 pm:

...they're prone to failure.

The problem isn't the speedometer itself, which is quite accurate and has never failed me.

It's the delicate little wires, which are easily damaged by road hazards. The speedometer in my roadster worked all through my long drive Saturday, but somewhere in the last couple of miles it quit for the usual reason, a broken wire probably caused by a flying rock on a gravel road.

So today when I fixed the wire I enclosed it in a section of rubber hose. I hope that will keep it safe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Monday, May 29, 2017 - 11:15 pm:

Steve, how do you route the rest of the wiring up to the chassis, along the spring? Do you zip tie it to the axle? Considering buying a bike speedometer for mine.

Good idea putting it in a rubber hose, that should help alot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 12:00 am:

Yes, there's one zip tie by the shackle...

...and another at the front hood shelf bolt...

...and a third at the rear hood shelf bolt.

The advantages of a bike speedometer are accuracy and price (under $25). The disadvantages are the delicate wiring and the loss of whatever is on the odometer if you have to change the battery. It goes back to 0.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 12:06 am:

Take this for what it is worth. Use a period correct speedometer. The downside is it will most likely cost you between $500 and $1000 depending on who you buy it from, and their knowledge of what is correct for your car. A real plus is to buy Russ Furstnows speedometer book. You won't regret it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 12:27 am:

Larry, I have one I got from Russ. I just haven't cleaned the brass, painted it, and installed it. I hope to get it in the car sometime this summer. Until then it's the Cat Eye Velo 5.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 04:20 am:

Hi Thank you Steve for all this infomation,it will be a great help for when i put my one on the car. once thankyou. Cheers Gerry(NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 07:02 am:

I have an original style Stewart 160 with the individual steel links in the cable housing. Can always modernize to the internal cable but I wish someone would make those links again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 07:19 am:

Larry, No disrespect, but less than $50, or $500-$1000. It's not really a hard choice for me.

Would I prefer an original, Absolutely.

But I have SO much more that that kind of money could go to---namely building another engine for the very tired one in the car. Sometimes the line for us budget minded people has to be drawn somewhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 07:54 am:

FWIW and in MHO, I used the free speedo App on my Smartphone, Ulysee Speedometer. Works great! After using it several times, listening to the engine and observing my car speed, looking at my throttle location, now I pretty much know within a mile or two per hour what my speed is without even using it. Checked myself with it a few times and yep, I was pretty much spot on! Good enough for me, but then, it's only needed for my '20. All the other cars do have a factory speedo. One of the advantage of brass cars I guess!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 07:55 am:

I have a GPS bicycle speedometer that is about 1.5" square and mounts with Velcro in the corner of my windshield. It registers speed, distance traveled and elapsed time + some other stuff I don't use. The battery is rechargeable and works perfectly. If I leave my car sitting in public I grab the unit, stick it in my pocket and it's safe. I bought it off of eBay for about $60.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 08:21 am:

I'm with Tm....

If you have a smartphone, you can use an app (the good ones only cost a few dollars), then get one of those suction cup thingamabobs to stick it to the windshield.....or a magnetic holder to stick it to the dash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:41 am:

Russ has the links, NOS. I forget how much he charges for them. Also, I see used ones on ebay from time to time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Don and all, the Ulysee Speedometer app is free, works on all smartphones. Has all the bells and whistles you need too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:04 pm:

Heck. I just use my garmen gps. Switch it from one car to the Next.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

Tim, I use that speedo app. also. Its definitely one of the best ones out there, and you cant beat the price. :-)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speedometer-free-speed-limit-alert-gps-black-box /id557871911?mt=8

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Fuller on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:46 pm:

Speedometer app on a smartphone is definitely the way to go.

If you don't want use a smartphone for your cell phone or if you don't want to pay for a smartphone data plan you can still use one for a speedometer.

You can easily pick up an older, used, working smartphone on eBay for $15 to $20. You can connect to a wifi without activating the phone with a cellular service and download a free speedometer app. Then all you need is a GPS signal and it will work as a GPS speedometer for your T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Spadafore on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 07:01 am:

This is the iPhone app I use. The free version is a basic speedometer and you can track an individual trip,but can't save. The paid version, one time fee, lets you save your trips, chart your trips on either Google or Apple maps and saves overall driving statistics.

Speed Tracker. GPS Speedometer, HUD, Trip computer by AppAnnex, LLC
https://appsto.re/us/JH3jy.i

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 07:58 am:

Hi Steve; I use the same bicycle speedometer that you have but I added a length of two conductor shielded cable and mounted the reed relay and magnet at the right rear wheel, you can run the cable along the wishbone where it is secure. These speedometers are sensitive to electromagnetic interference from the Ford coils, thus the reason for the shielded cable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 09:18 am:

Before the popularity of the smart-phone, I purchased a Garmin eTrex years back. Even in an enclosed T body it is accurate. No wires to mess with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Clary on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 10:34 am:

How often do you really look at your speedometer? My T's all have speedos but their accuracy is suspect so I don't really pay attention. All I do is pull the ears down at every radar speed sign.

Andy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 12:12 pm:

I believe the appeal of the bicycle speedometer is their compact size, low cost and instantaneous read out as soon as the wheel begins to spin as well as no need to remember to turn it on or off. This one will be secured to the upper side of the horn button housing screw.

(Message edited by AzBob on May 31, 2017)

(Message edited by AzBob on May 31, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 12:37 am:

Steve, I have a new Velo in my possession and will mount it this weekend. What size hose and how many feet did you use? I have the iphone Speedometer app and it works ok but is somewhat delayed for how fast you are going. I would rather have a continuous reading to see how slow I am going.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration