Can I use a T tire rim spreader on this TT truck wheel? Pictures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Can I use a T tire rim spreader on this TT truck wheel? Pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Never worked on a large TT tire before The rim seems wider, stronger thicker rim metal with a different tab. Can I use a spreader or take it to a tire shop? It does NOT appear to have another rim keeper? on the inside of the wheel?? rim This is the tire that the metal core of the valve stem blew out

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:39 am:

David, Yes, you can use a T rim spreader on a 23" TT split rim like you've pictured above. I've done it, but be careful since you'll be spreading the rim spreader tool out to just about the max. I understand that there are larger rim spreaders out there, but I've never seen one.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:50 am:

I have a Hercules rim spreader goes from 19 to 36 inches I use it on the model T and a friends fire truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Hi David,

Short answer: probably. Some of the rim spreaders for the 21" rims won't extend enough to "reach" the 23" rim. Others will and some spreaders have adjustable arms to allow use on really large rims.

All of the 23" TT rims I have seen are of the style which you have. The TT rims with the lock ring are the 20" , but not all of the 20" TT rims are the lock ring style, some are a split rim style.

The two lugs with the slot are made that way to allow the rim to be put on and removed from the wheel without the need to push back the rim bolts. Do not "fix" those slots.

Exercise caution when using the rim spreader as many a rim has been twisted or otherwise damaged by an improperly applied spreader.

Good luck with your project, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 11:35 am:

it seems since rim is so wide I would need tire spreaders on each side???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

Aw come on now...Mr. Thrifty would have used two blocks of wood, a piece of all thread, bailing wire, duct tape, and a monkey wrench. What's with you guys and your fancy tools! Get with it :-) :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 10:23 am:

tntil I got my spreader, I used a turn buckle and two eye hooks that connected into the lub bolt holes and it worked fine on my t rims. the lug bolt brackets are not all the way out at the edge, so it spread the tension better, imo.

the wood blocks might work to spread them back out, but not to ollapse them.

just a thought

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration