Model T Headlight Rim

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Headlight Rim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 11:58 am:

I was polishing the headlight rims on my T yesterday. Voila - under some grime, this stamp appeared. The Ford is obvious, but what's the story with the Broum (I might be missing my spelling).

Related - the glass seems very loose in the other light, but I can't find out how to remove the rim and re-set everything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

Brown was the light manufacturer. To remove rim - push in & turn C.C.W.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 06:02 pm:

This sketch was posted a while back.

The rim can be stuck by either rust under the edges or in the notches, or the stiff spring behind the reflector. The rivet tang is engaged in the notch and all 4 of these rivet tangs are twisted out of their respective notches at the same time to remove the rim with its lens.

Push and twist Counter clockwise, penetrating oil can help or tools are used for this twist too.

Spring behind the reflector is what presses the glass lens to the reflector gasket, and keeps the rim locked in the bayonet like notches.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Alexander in Albion, Maine on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

You should be able to push the rim in at the N,S,E & W positions. If it is stuck, spray some lube in between the bucket and the rim and try pushing in again until it moves. Then, grab the rim vat the E and W positions ( 3 and 9 o'clock ) and rotate it about an inch CCW and it should come off. You can then adjust the tabs that hold the lens to tighten it up. If the rims have not been off for a while it could take some time to loosen them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

If the glass is loose, when you do get that bezel off, look to see if the string gasket is missing...that's usually the cause of loose glass, not cinching something up. The gasket the vendors sell is a bit too small in diameter, so I used 3/16th cotton cord I bought at a fabric store.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration