First Post with some "old to me" pictures

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: First Post with some "old to me" pictures
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Marshall on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 01:28 pm:

Got lead to this forum from my other hobby of collecting Coleman lanterns. Did some searching and noticed a few of you knew my Grandfather Dick Bloomfield. Been reading the threads the last few weeks as I still have a keen interest in Model T's having grown up with them for my entire life.

Recently remodeled our house and while putting the photo albums back I ran across these "old to me" photos. These are probably from the 1980 or so judging by my age in them and the fact that the 1981 Antique national dash plaque has yet to have been applied

Would love to hear any stories you guys have of my grandfather, I never got to know him well as he passed when I was quite young. My parents still have one of His T's (seen in the background) as well as the Sprinter in the photos.

Photo1

Photo2

Photo3

Photo4

photo5

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Marshall on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 01:30 pm:

A couple "modern" photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

Those are great photos. Thanks for sharing them.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 06:31 pm:

You need to take another photo of you sitting on the car in the same position so you have one from 1980 and one from 2017.

Very nice thanks for sharing,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 08:55 pm:

Erik,

Welcome to the forum. That looks like one really nice car. I suspect it has lots of really neat accessories from the knock of wire wheels to what appears to be an overhead valve set up.

From the photos, the engine oil pan appears to be late 1928 to 1931 Model A Ford. And the transmission also appears to be a later sliding gear transmission. The outside brake handle appears to be Model T and of course a dirt track racer could be made any way they wanted.

If you do not find anyone here that recognizes the car, don't get frustrated. A lot of the older folks don't use the computer as much as many of the younger folks. Not a right or wrong, just an observation.

Another site that specifically deals with the 1934 and earlier 4 cylinder speedsters etc. is the Northwest Vintage Speedster site located at: http://www.nwvs.org/

And more importantly than if it is mostly A, T or other -- is that it was your Grandfather's car. With enough money anyone can purchase a car -- but very few folks can have a car their Grandfather had. That is one of those things money can't just go out and purchase.

Again welcome to the forum!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Welcome to the forum. Really cool car. This is a great place to ask opinions and tech questions. I do. Lots of knowledge on here. Jmho Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

EXCELLENT!!!
Many Thanks for taking the time to share your photos with us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

Hap, I agree with you 100%! Here is the one my grandfather built in the early 70s. That is my son driving the car in the 2015 Santa Clara endurance run. The fact that my kids can ride in and drive a car their great-grandfather built is utterly invaluable to me.

Erik, your grandfather's car is beautiful. Can we see more detail photos especially some under the hood shots? I love the workmanship and construction that went into the old racers from the 20's and 30's. Get that thing back on the road!

Tom

speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Marshall on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 01:16 am:

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'll try to get some more photos and will post back, will be a while though as life is busy right now.

I'll get some photos of the T while im there too, i think it has a Fronty in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 05:17 am:

WOW....just WOW

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert A Weitzel on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Great story thanks for sharing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 10:25 am:

I knew Dick Bloomfield and his brother Bill. Dick passed away many years ago, but Bill is still with us. He recently sold a lot of his stuff to Peter Eastwood in Pasadena.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 01:22 pm:

Erik,

That is one seriously cool car that needs to run again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Marshall on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Finally getting back to this, Thanks to those who reached out directly. I helped clean up at Uncle Will's house and saved some of the random T parts from the scrapper, couple axles and some pedals.

Here's a couple photos of the engine bay of the sprinter as requested. Tough to get a good photo because its so narrow.

The car runs, but is nowhere near street legal. It's push start only, likely due to a lack of space for a starter, although we did see one at the hill climb a few years back that was very similar that did have a starter on it so maybe there's hope.

According to my dad and one of his friends that has driven this car it is "scary fast". Think way back in the day it did 88 in the 1/4 mile which is way too fast for me when the highest point on the car is your head!

engine1

Engine2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Awesome.
Vern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Wednesday, July 26, 2017 - 12:59 pm:

Erik, It's time to shake the dust off. Good luck and have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Leo van Stirum on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 05:51 am:

That garage must be an annex of heaven...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

Erik,

That is one really special car!

Depending on how the crank shaft lines up with the radiator/frame, you may or may not be able to install a normal 1928-1931 Model A ratchet nut. See: http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/ratchet-nut

And have some sort of Crank handle guide:

And probably will need a longer than standard crank:

Note Chevy's up through 1942 still had a removable hand crank that was much longer than the "A" crank. Other cars probably had them also.

From memory -- our 1928 A with a high compression head had too much compression for the old weak starter (it was not rebuilt) to turn over the engine. We pulled it to start the engine. I don't remember if we ever tried to hand crank it or not. Depending on how much compression your engine has and how easy it is to start -- you may or may not want to hand crank it.

From your 2nd to the last photo it appears you are NOT running a stock Model A engine flywheel housing which is shown below:

If you were using a stock flywheel housing it would mean adding a starter would be easier.

The car appears to have a single pedal on the left side of the front floorboard. Do you know if the car has a clutch and clutch pedal? Did they use an adapter plate to bolt the transmission up directly to the engine without a clutch?

Please keep us updated on what you discover.

And note they make portable electric starters for race cars so they do not have to be push started. And you do not have to carry the weight of a starter that is only used to start the car, not to make it go faster.

Again thank you so much for the update.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration