Non-Aluminum Z Head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Non-Aluminum Z Head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

I have a head marked with a Z at the water outlet but it's not aluminum.

I thought the Z heads were aluminum. Am I missing something?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 03:36 pm:

Don-
Cylinder heads were marked with letters.

Z Happened to be the letter used when your head was cast. I've seen it before.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 04:45 pm:

I measured the dome height on the Z head and it's shallower than the dome height on an extra low compression head that I have.

So...I'm assuming it's a high compression head. Would that make it an early stock head....or possibly a cast iron version of the popular aluminum Z head?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 04:58 pm:

Nope - just a normal head, sorry. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, May 30, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

Just coincidence that Mr. Ralph Zajick marked his alum high compression heads with the first letter of his name. "Z".

Think that Ford must have used every letter of the alphabet in casting marks on cylinder heads, as this iron high head has that mark of Zorro on it too!

Rusty Ford iron head with a Z

Ralph's alum head with a Z, painted black

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration