Magnet bolts?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Magnet bolts?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 08:31 am:

The books don't say, and Google references are scarce. Any recommendations for a torque number? I have an idea, but I'd like the opinion of more experienced folks. We're talking about the bolts here, not the brass screws.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 08:54 am:

Starting at about 21 minutes into this video, Mike recommends 30 ft-lbs. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfG9Ib1udxc&list=PLYG_lIhIwKyLG8WQm4tGmKK1nA0Yct p6G&index=18

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 08:59 am:

this is a pretty good guide for maximum torque by grade of bolt and is what I use

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 10:39 am:

I really would take a less-is-better approach for fear of cracking a magnet. However, that doesn't mean loose. Just maybe go to the low end of the scale. 25 - 30 ft-lbs. maybe. And, of course, wire them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Only the earlier magnet retaining bolts were wired - Ford deleted the drilled bolt heads & wire in later years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 03:34 pm:

Been a while, but don't we peen the ends of the magnet bolts that come through the flywheel?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 03:59 pm:

It's the brass screws that get mashed on the other side, not the bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 05:53 pm:

As far as I know or at least according to Mike Bender, there is no torque needed for those bolts...just snug them down (if I had to pick a number, maybe 20 to 25 ft lbs,...or as they'd say in the book (and Bender put it)..."a good pull on the wrench" watch his video..."engine 14 and 15", he'll tell you)...they are spinning so close to the center of the centrifugal force they are unaffected by it....the further you get from the center that changes rather dramatically. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration