Slip paint on Model T springs question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Slip paint on Model T springs question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 01:59 pm:

When restoring springs do you need to use primer before slip paint and/or the regular paint? Plan on using Rustoleum if that matters. Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

I primed and painted the springs while I had them disassembled so they wouldn't bleed rust. As I reassembled them I put a mix of graphite and grease between them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

The slip paint doesn't need primer. Most important is to round off the outer lower edges of every leaf so they don't dig into the next leaf below.
I made my own slip paint by mixing graphite powder in regular black paint, since slip paint isn't sold over here - and it's quite authentic, since that's what Ford used on the springs when new. If you don't like the greyish tone from the graphite, you can spray them with a black Rustoleum can after assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Max L. Christenson on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 03:41 pm:

John Deere Graphite Lubricant works well between leaf springs. Get it in a can and paint it on the surfaces of the leaf springs. Takes about 4 hours to dry. Then assemble springs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

I make my own slip paint also. I do not paint the springs till they are assembled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles Weisgerber- Vancouver WA. on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

Dave, when I did my springs,I had each leaf bead blasted, then I smoothed the ends of the leaves as Roger suggested. I painted both sides of each leaf with Rustoleum. I used Slip Paint that I purchased from Lang's and painted both sides of the leaves except top of the top leaf and the bottom of the bottom leaf. If you get a little of the Slip Paint on the edges as you paint just wipe it off. Don't let it dry or you'll have to live with it. The springs look and work perfect, and they're quiet too.

No matter which way you go, the ride will be a lot smoother although you may bounce a little every now and then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Otto on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 07:20 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 03:59 am:

Thanks everyone for the ideas, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 06:18 am:

They used to make spring boots that helped keep the goop inside and on the springs...they had metal ties and a big piece of felt on both sides inside it...those worked pretty well...had a set on my A Model back in the 70's...I suppose they'd also work on T Models too (might have to shorten them down some though).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 06:33 am:

I just looked, they still make them and Snyder's still sells them too.

http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/spring-covers

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration