Hoghead pedal shaft wear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hoghead pedal shaft wear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 03:29 pm:

I'm going thru my hogshead and wondering how much play is acceptable on the pedal shafts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Play where ? Shafts ? Cams ? Pedals on shafts ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 03:43 pm:

"...pedal shafts?"

That's where.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 03:45 pm:

John,

As long as it's just a sloppy fit between the shafts and the hogshead, the question comes back to you as, how much oil leak are you comfortable with. Other than that, unless it's huge wear, it shouldn't hurt much. Again, that's if everything else is o.k.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

The play between the shaft and the hogshead is minimal (IMHO), I just didn't how much would be acceptable. I was going to install o-rings to help with the leaks. I have new shafts and notches.
Thanks for the responses!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

Bushings and seals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Bushings and seals is the way to go for sure. But I lack machining tools and skills.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 06:34 pm:

So those are Neopreme seals and not O rings?
Do you have a number for those seals?

Looks like another perfect fix!!

Thanks Again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 06:54 pm:

Question for you, Herm. How difficult is it to align ream the holes for the clutch shaft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 09:15 pm:

Nice work as always, Herm. Thanks for sharing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Well some wear ok to me but i do put in O ring seals in slows oil drain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

You can buy a 7/8" od cutter and use a 5/8" pilot, driven by a decent drill, and do this. For the clutch shaft you want a longer pilot. I bought the tools off of eBay for about $35, but I did need to ask a friend to turn down the end of a piece of 5/8" drill rod to use as a pilot for the clutch shaft. I don't have the part number but McMaster sells a neoprene seal that is spring reinforced that fits well. I am sure there are others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 12:43 am:

Gene, they are just common 5/8's seals, got at any bearing house. They don't cost very much. I use about 4 to 5 end reamers from about 5/8's to the bushing O.D..

You don't want to much of a press fit on Aluminum, or cast. Use sleeve retainer also.

The seal area is also reamed in the width of the seal, sleeve retainer also.

We use a 5/8's expandable reamer on the I.D. of the bronze bushing, and fit just so the shaft can be moved with out bind.

Herm.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration