Changing Kevlar Bands - 1915 Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Changing Kevlar Bands - 1915 Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Timothy Hales on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 07:54 pm:

Looking for advice on changing the bands in a 1915 Model T. I have quick change bands (straight slot), so I have not removed the hog head. I'm working through just the opening transmission cover. I ordered new kevlar band lining and have mounted the new bands onto the original ears. We tried putting them back in but are running into problems with clearance when trying to slide them back in place. It seems to be to tight to allow the band to slide back into place. Any advice on getting these back in? Also, is there a specific order they need to go back in? (I heard it needs to be from front to back.) Thanks for any advice!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

I have used cotton, Kevlar, and wood bands.

I think the wood bands are the absolute best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Timothy there is another thread current on this. Mike seems to like doing just what you propose. I am in the other camp. I feel that if you must use Kevlar then remove the transmission cover and do it the safe way.

Jerry Bowes comes to mind. He had a gorgeous 1912 touring. He did his first band change through the transmission door. Then he got to learn how to replace drums and rebuild the transmission. Fortunately he didn't loose the pan, block, hogshead or crankshaft. He was lucky, not as lucky as Mike, however!

Other thread on replacing bands

IMHO,TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Terry, you make me smile. And, you're making me nervous. I didn't think I was risking anything doing it the way I was doing it but now I'm not so confident. Actually I was taught how to do it this way by Andy Loso and by reading different Ford books.

I just pulled the engine out of my speedster to change the starter ring gear. I'm going to put new Kevlar bands in when I reassemble the transmission. When I do it I'll put them in through the hogshead cover again but, I'll also pay particular attention to get a feel for whether I should feel comfortable doing it that way. Then I'll try to remember to report back.

Gulp!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

Timothy - apparently there have been "clearance issues" attempting to use the slotted type removable ear bands as opposed to the "button" style. There is limited room under the pedal boss areas to slide either type of removable bands in an aluminum transmission cover !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Garrison - Rice, Minnesota on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 11:18 pm:

Steve, that's an interesting point. I've only changed bands with the "button" style removable ears. I imagine there's a lot to what You and Terry are saying about removing the hogshead. It's tight enough inside that darn thing without compounding the issue with additional clearance issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 01:09 am:

I just changed the brake band in my 1924 truck through the trans door with the slot type band. It's not easy, but it works. I recommend removing the transmission cover for the best result.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 10:01 am:

If you don't change the bands very often going through the trans cover door it can be a real juggling and pain in more ways than one.

I've done it but overall taking the cover off is easier. The next time it will be removing the cover for me.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration