26 roadster top re-wood question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 26 roadster top re-wood question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 08:49 pm:

After drilling rivets out do I have to bend these open like the small tabs? Are the wood corners separate from the top piece?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

Yes ,and yes.Have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Don't fully open up the larger tabs that clamp the wood bow to the iron. Only fully open the very small 'clip like tabs' that secure the separate bent wood pieces for the side of the iron.

You will be sliding the new wood pieces (2) into the larger tab, and bend them down and insert to the lower part of the iron. Make the ends of the 2 pieces of lath like wood tapered to go in easy down there.

The new 2 pieces of wood should be checked for length as you don't want the ends to block the full insertion of the long wood bows.

Here is older post on how I did the small wood pieces in the lower part of the iron.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/173560.html?1291318078

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

Thanks fellas. One more question. Is the joint where corner and straight top wood a half lap joint or mortis and tennon? Does that joint get glued or just rivets?
Jack, I put an envelope in the mail today for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 07:14 pm:

Should have went to garage before asking.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Has this been replaced before or could it be original?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

I have never seen a 'Joint" at that location. Model T's do not require glue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

It was just butted together. Corner is two thin pieces with uneven ends.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration