Expert?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Expert?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 09:44 pm:

I dislike this term, and I'm not comfortable with it. I give a few reasons: I've been called an expert on '13s for years, and I'm flattered, but no thanks. I do know a lot, but I still learn something new occasionally. Secondly, I know absolutely nothing about 1913 town cars, so I can't possibly be an expert. I'm willing to share what I know about '13s, but that is it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Larry, the guy with the most information available off hand is the expert. As per the old joke, an "ex-spurt" is obnoxiously self important and unwilling to be helpful rather than pedantic, much less open to learn more. That does not describe you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

Larry,
I've been told that before one can be called "an expert", they need to be at least 50 miles away from home. A pastor friend suggested to think back to our algebra days in High School: "X was always the unknown quantity, and a spurt is a big drip under pressure." Not an expert here, either! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 11:04 pm:

One of the nice things about being the know-nothing newbie is that everyone around me is an expert!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, May 31, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

I know that 13 usually comes after 12, and is sometimes followed by 14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 05:47 am:

Larry... that speedometer cable bracket on my car didn't put you over the edge, did it? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Williamson on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 07:28 am:

Larry, your respect within this hobby is well deserved, I understand, you did not learn the information you know for recognition, but as a result of your passion for excellence and accuracy. We as fellow collectors, are forever grateful for the knowledge you share with us. I don't know of anyone else, who has researched 1913 Model T's to the level you have. We would restore our cars, but without the confidence of accuracy you have provided. I have a January 20 1913, that probably should not have been restored, just cared for, but it was restored when I bought it, your knowledge has been helpful for me. Our hobby has benefited greatly by the efforts of other dedicated people, Kim Dobbins for one, but also many others. Our hobby can't measure the value of dedication, made available by people like you and the others

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Larry is now self demoted to "Serious Student" rank . That's ok Larry, we still love you ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

Larry, there are those with much less knowledge that would claim to be experts. The fact that you know as much as you do and are willing to share it is commendable. You realize there is much we don't know and that puts you in great company with those who make this hobby as wonderful as it is.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 06:00 pm:

A favorite of mine. "One cannot truly begin to learn, until one first understands how little he knows."

I know that I have learned a lot from you, as have many others. I am still trying to learn, and do not consider myself to be an expert either. When it comes to 1913 models specifically, many years of tops in general, and top boots in particular? I don't know anyone that knows more. And yes, I do know that you, Larry Smith, are still trying to learn more.
So. Grumble and complain, gripe a bit. But accept our "thank you" for all your research, and understand that we appreciate it, and you.
I have said it many times. When I got into this hobby back in the late '60s? Not much was really known about the timelines and correct parts of model Ts. We know much more now than the "experts" knew then. This is the result of many people studying, researching, and learning, then sharing what they found as best they could. I could rattle of a couple dozen names in a minute. "Larry Smith" would be one of them. However, I would miss a hundred others, many of whom I have never had the chance to know. This is an amazing hobby, and passion. I am glad I can be a small part of it, and have met so many wonderful people in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 06:11 pm:

Larry, from what I have read on this forum, you are one of the most knowledgeable. I consider you to be one of the forum "characters", and do enjoy and appreciate your information. I am happy to hear you don't consider yourself an expert, as one definition of an expert is "one who can state misinformation with great authority".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

Thank you gentlemen. Your comments have warmed my heart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 06:31 pm:

Larry, I just want to say Thanks for your post as well and agree with what others have so well stated. We have many guys give their opinions and suggestions here and you and many others know they may not be the best advise.

What you always share is pretty much something you can take to the bank.

Thanks again and to all the other "Xperts" THANKS as Well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Larry,

Thank you for all your support to our club and hobby for so many years. There are many many details about the cars that we would not know about today if you had not taken the time to share them. We really appreciate you and we thank you for all your help and support.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 07:11 am:

Not an expert? Dang close on 13's. Last year Larry and RV Anderson went over my early original 13. I couldn't believe what they were finding and confirming. They should do a book on 13's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:47 am:

Larry, how come you don't pick my 13 apart? I feel left out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Kim:

I would be glad to pick apart your '13 for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 02:43 pm:

Come on out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

I have always thought that an EXPERT is someone who knows more and more about less and less until he knows positively everything about absolutely nothing...

Just passing along wisdom from many years ago, I think it was from a poster of Murphy's Laws for Engineering that adorned my dorm room in college.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:41 pm:

Larry, I have to agree.
In the Corvair world, I refer to many of the guys involved in the hobby for well over 40 years as "wise sages." They are humble in what they know and never afraid to learn something new. They know what they're talking about when they talk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:51 pm:

The guys that dont say a lot is the guy that usually knows a lot. I was raised if your talking your not learning

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration