Keyway location in pinion gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Keyway location in pinion gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Compton on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 11:33 am:

I've heard stories about pinion gears breaking due to the location of the keyway in certain reproduction pinion gears being directly under a tooth so that the path from the corners of the keyway are shorter to valley on each side of the tooth above the keyway. True or not?? Thanks : Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

I have heard the same, but the only pinion gear I have had break was an original Ford gear, and it split in half (one side of the split was off a key-way corner)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

Likely matter of time before stress of starting and stopping takes a toll on this pinion gear.

Better machining is the Ford way. Ford pinion on right, good repro on left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

The corner in the key way is a stress riser no matter where it is. It is true that a crack would have a shorter distance to travel if the keyway is under a tooth, but the actual distance difference is not much either way. If a crack develops, the gear will break. I would think proper heat treating and annealling would be the most critical factor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 11:59 am:

There were also a run of ring gears with the screw holes in between the teeth that would allow the pinion to hit the screw heads I have one and so far all is OK.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

Rick - the 39 tooth ring gears always has some of the screws in between the teeth since ten screws doesn't fit evenly among 39, so the pinion teeth has to be beveled to clear when setting up a 3:1 rear axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 02:08 pm:

Roger, this is a 40 tooth std ring gear.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

Off the top of my head, whey didn't they radius the corners a bit and radius the key a bit?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration