Suicide rims

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Suicide rims
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Can a 600 x 20 tire be put on a model tt ton truck without taking that killer ring off?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

No.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

-Gene-
For safety's sake, face the 'ring side' down on the floor (away from you) when inflating. You don't want to be part of the damage possible if it pops loose. Haven't had any problems from my Dad's '26 TT, and have that size as replacements for the 30X5 originals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

I wrapped a chain around the tire and rim when I inflated mine. I also used a battery powered air compressor that has the tire chuck that clamps to the stem so I could stand back and watch from a distance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

I wrap the chain like Derek described. Have mounted 8 that way without any issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

I've seen and heard one of that type of ring 'blow up' on the front of a milk truck at the cheese factory. It was parked in a stall in the shed, mid afternoon in the summer, and protected from the sun. BOOM! As loud as a 105 Howitzer... The ring tore through the wheel well, leaving the fender torn and crumpled while barely attached to the truck body. Could have, would have, been deadly.
Whether over-inflated or what, I don't believe it was ever determined. Use caution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 04:37 pm:

most tire stores have a safety cage of heavy pipe that they roll the tires into and then inflate. possibly take your assembled, but not inflated tire up to one of them and just have them inflate it for you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 11:05 pm:

I found go to truck stop service area put it in there cages if they have one
I also wrapped it in chain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 11:55 pm:

One of those killed my friend's dad (Mr. Meeks) when I was in elementary school.

It was mounted on the truck...he was airing it up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Actually, although possibly deadly, the TT rim is not the "suicide rim" -- that moniker is used for the two-piece locking rim, also called "the widow maker." The single piece rim, although it can be deadly is much less prone to flying apart.
BEFORE assembling, Inspect, inspect, inspect, CLEAN, CLEAN, CLEAN the removable rim AND the wheel's grove that it rides in. Make certain the rim isn't deformed from mistreatment and the wheel's edge isn't damaged. Then either install the tire/tube flap yourself, or have a truck tire shop do it; either way, take it to such a shop to have it inflated.
Once inflated, properly installed, they SELDOM come apart. DO treat them with great respect!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

David is correct, Budd wheel. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

-David & Keith-
The rear 20" rim Eugene was referring to (found with the worm-drive TT Ruckstell) is not like Keith's drawing. Suspect it is a 'bead ring' for my lack of knowing what else to call it. There is the wide rim, and then the ring to hook into place for the outside tire bead. Those can be quite dangerous.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 04:33 pm:

I don't know where to find the drawings on the internet & with dial-up it'll take forever to search, so here's a quick & dirty drawing done by hand & by memory. In addition to the RH-5 bad idea, there is the two-part locking ring, which is what I've heard called "The Widow Maker."
Again, IF everything is factory new it probably works fine, but the real world is different!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

Keith's drawing is showing the two piece rim that was/is so dangerous!Davids drawing is showing a one piece snap ring and also a two piece snap ring.Snap rings either one piece or two seldom give any trouble when in good condition and mounted correctly!!!!!!!!!!!If you don't know what how or why get help before you hurt yourself or someone.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 01:24 am:

-Bud, David, Eugene & Guys-
Those 'snap rings' are the only ones I've had any observation or experience with. The milk truck episode I described previously was of the same basic design as are on my Dad's '26 TT out in my shop. Suspicion is, Eugene has the same, and David's drawing is close. Also, I believe today's semi-truck wheels are still much the same design. PM me and I can take photos, as I still have one apart. Since I don't plan on big or heavy loads, past tire pressure has been at 40 pounds without any problems.
BTW, (somewhat OT), the wide part of an old semi rim (they're cheap, too!) makes for a good backyard fire pit. Dig it mostly in, leaving space under the top lip for some patio block to surround the perimeter... You may want that non-combustible surround area. Find a roll-rim cover from a 55 gallon drum and it fits perfectly onto the exposed rim - (should you not want to wait for the coals to burn out, plus keeping some wood for the next time. Then too, my lazy impatience is showing...:-)) Use a swing-out or tripod camping grill to adjust over the wood fire... It will offer food cooked to 'tingle your taste-buds'!! (Just prepare to have a seat and your favorite brew while you wait & watch.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 08:17 am:

Today's semi are almost 100% tubeless usually 11x22.5 or 11x24.5. It would take a little extra looking but there were also 24" Dayton rims or open center for your fire pit.I used to work full time for GM and part time in a couple of tire stores long ago. Open center Dayton rims can be bought new if you are unsure about condition and made to fit.I have seen Doodle Bugs with TT rear ends with later Dayton's mounted! I think your best source of truck rim info and safety would be a Farm Truck Tire Service!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Long ago I went to a tire school in Detroit at a football field. They had a dummy out in the field inflating a rim with a chain wrapped around it. When it blew the dummy went about 40 feet in the air. I never did a split rim again. I had a tire store when splits were common but I didn't change them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 12:40 pm:

I could be wrong, but I believe the rim in Keith's picture is a Firestone design commonly used on Fords, and others in the fifties, when they are on the vehicle, it's not real apparent if they are engaged properly or not, several people have been hurt or killed by reinflating while they are mounted. DON'T do that. As far as I know, common sense will keep you safe on all other types of multi piece rims. If you chain it, better be in several places, IMHO. Dave in Bellingham,WA

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration