Stan Howe - looking for him (he is OK)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Stan Howe - looking for him (he is OK)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Ruth on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

Hi Looking to see if anyone has heard from Stan?? His voicemail is no longer taking messages.

Reason I'm trying to get hold of Stan is that I'm awaiting 2 Zenith carbs to shipout :-)

Thxs
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Ruth on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

Good news Stan called - he's just slammed with Carb Rebuilding!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Glad to hear he is ok.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

How many times must it be repeated?

DO NOT START A THREAD WITH ONLY SOMEONE'S NAME.

When we see a name we always immediately think that the individual had DIED.

Stop it.
Stop It.
STOP IT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Bill, YES! YES! YES!

I have posted the same request here before, and it has never seemed to do any good. How hard is it to write, "Looking for Stan Howe"? or "Trying to reach Stan Howe"?

When I see just the name of someone who is my age as a thread subject, my first thought is, "Good grief! Am I next?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, June 01, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

Bill,

When I Die - I hope to go to Heaven .... :-)

There will be a thread on the forum titled:

" Where The H-E-Double Hockey Sticks Is Freighter Jim With My Model T " ....

Freighter Jim
Still Among The Living

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 01:45 am:

I am alive and reasonably well.

At times when I am busy in the shop or with other business demands I no longer answer the phone unless I recognize the number. There are at least two reasons, first is I do not have time to rebuild carburetors and Ruckstells over the phone. I am spending two or three hours many days answering questions and giving advice to people who will never spend a nickle here.

Second is I am doing everything I can to get carbs out and I am tired of people calling and cursing and calling me names. I spent half an hour on the phone last week with a guy telling me what a POS I am because I told him it would probably be 60 days or more and it was the 87th day and he didn't have his carburetor back. He has it now.

This started out to be a part time business -- fit in around my main business, auctioneering, and my ranches and music. It is interesting and I need the money. However, I am tired of the BS and I cannot continue to work the hours I am working standing in front of a bench, a bead blaster and a lathe. I put in over 14 hours in the shop today.

It has reached the point where it is consuming my life. I missed a lot of work during the winter and spring of 2016 due to some health issues and family needs and am still trying to get caught up. I also missed some work this past winter when I took a week off to go to California for the Holiday Motor Excursion. I wanted to drive but flew so I could get back and get to work in the shop. Etc.

In one week last summer I got 16 carburetors in from a dozen different people. They all have to have paperwork completed, invoices typed, be shelved and rebuilt -- some have missing parts, some with severe damage, some that are a simple and quick rebuild -- then they have to be test run, boxed and shipped, mailing labels typed, etc.

I took a rough count today and I am to the point where I only have about 15 or so to go until I am caught up to where I can leave some things go and
do some work on what will be the biggest collector car auction in Montana this year; put the head back on a tractor that we took off well over a year ago, seed a hay field that I've been wanting to replant for several years, etc.

SO: As of June 1st, I am not accepting any further carburetors for rebuilding with delivery any time prior to November 1st.

I will be selling off my accessory carburetor collection and much of my inventory as time allows. I have dozens of carburetors, many for Model T Fords and many for other cars. Shelves and shelves of them.

If any one has any carburetors here for rebuilding that I have not started work on I will return it to you at your request. I'm sure you will be able to find someone who does superior work to mine that will be able to do it on your timetable.

If anyone owes me money I will expect that they will pay me. The last one I sent out with a bill instead of payment up front about a month ago I have not heard a word back and doubt I ever will. It all adds up. This was one of those deals where he made the deal, "I'll send you 4 Stromberg OF's in good condition, you rebuild the best one and you can have the other 3." One had been in a fire, two were so rusted and corroded they were beyond the point of being rebuildable, there was not one usable float or float cover, no usable steel parts. I rebuilt the best one, sent it with a bill and will probably will never get paid. In the time I spent on that one OF I could done 4 or 5 good ones.

I spent part of last Sunday taking apart an NH that was covered with rust and looked like total junk but after a trip through the bead blast cabinet was in excellent condition. I took a lot of photos of how I take them apart, clean the passages, etc., with the thought of posting them. It is not going to happen. I have too many irons in the fire. I will be working all weekend trying to get out some things that have been here too long but are going to take hours and hours to do.

I hope to have most work out by the middle of June. I probably will not have every thing out but enough to be somewhat caught up.

I will continue to sell carburetors from my inventory but as I said, I will not be taking in any more repair work to be returned before November 1st.

I may or may not be in business this winter. That is a long ways off. I will 75 in 6 months.

If anyone wants their carb back let me know. I'll see where it is in the lineup. I'm at stanhowemt@aol.com or 406-949-3448 If you would like an inventory/price list please email instead of calling. I will be working on it as soon as I can and will mail or email one to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 07:39 am:

Hi Stan, We know that you are a one man business and have to do it all yourself. You previously said that you're no longer doing NH carbs, and that's good as many others can and do those. You have to be selective in what work you accept for your own well being.

We pray that your health will hold out and that you can sort all of this out for a reasonable work / life balance.

Hang in there and take care of yourself.

Your just-as-old friend,

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael W. Herndon on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 09:47 am:

Hi Stan..

Don't forget to take time for your music! Food for the soul, eh?

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 11:48 am:

Stan has done one U&J carb for me and it is great, he has two more to do but I am in no hurry, if I need to drive I will use an NH or L-4 they work good also, Stan told me upfront it would be awhile and that is OK, he has had some health issues and that comes first, and he is not in his thirties either. So we just need to take it as it comes. hang in there Stan everything will be OK.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

From someone who faced the grim reaper not 30 days ago....jousted him to a draw over 30 hours...and had him head off hopefully to be wiser for the next time...

I do concur with the request made by others....add something to the topic other than the persons name!

To just include the name only screams "notice of some sort follows" to a whole bunch of folks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Hang in there Stan! Take care of you also. We want you to be healthy and enjoying life, and doing many of the other things that you like to do. Don't let yourself get sucked down by just one of the many things that you do so well. Nobody can survive for long giving a hundred percent of themselves to too many things all at once. One of the most important secrets to a happy and productive life is balance. Unfortunately, my family will never learn that. So don't do like my family does.
Take good care of you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Richmon - Richmond, VA on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

Hey Stan, you're still the man, take it with a grain of salt, you're still the best carb guy I've ever known & well worth the wait! If they can't wait they're not worthy of one of your Masterpieces! Carry on, I'll always wait, you're worth it!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 07:59 pm:

Stan
Why not train somebody to assist and learn the business? Ron Paterson the coil guru has taught a number of guys to setup competing coil repair shops. Nobody is getting rich, but the hobby is supplied and everyone is making a few bucks. Just a thought.

Hey I am finally putting the ruxstell to use.
Thank you
Jon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 08:25 pm:

Jon,
You'll get Stan atyping an epistle with that question :-)

He expounded at length to a similar inquiry - I do not remember his exact dialogue, but basically the problem is that the younger generation does not know of an "apprenticeship" period - a length of time wherein one is paid little or nothing to learn the intricacies of a skilled job. The folks today just want to come to work an hour after their start time, end an hour before, come in only when it is convenient for them, and want to be paid handsomely.

Stan has a much better way of explaining that - maybe he will - between carburetors - hope so....but then the next carb rejuvenation will be delayed even further :-)

Almost impossible to find good help these days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Dave,
While this is true of the vast majority of youth, I have to disagree.
I would kill to find an apprenticeship under somebody like Stan learning the in's and out's of the work he does- somebody needs to carry the torch. I can't even find a machining or woodworking apprenticeship. Starting Tuesday, I am "interning" at a local British car shop with the hope of being brought on part-time by fall.
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Keller on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

I forgot to mention I'm 17.
James

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 12:54 am:

James,

I applaud you for going out there and finding a potential place of employment. My wife owns 2 large Subaru Service Centers and we are constantly looking for young interested people to start the process of learning the trade.

Our program offers side by side instruction with master techs. paid training and schooling, advancement as the person learns.

We offer a good beginning wage, benefits, vacation and tool allowance. We want the new person to succeed and be a productive member of our team.

You would be shocked to know we have a hard time finding interested candidates. They all want to start at the top as they think they know it all.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 02:44 am:

I hire interns through the Vets on the Farm program, finding career
internships to match the interests of vets transitioning out of the service,
and those already out. While my results after 3 years are mixed, I do
believe they would be far less good had I just "hired off the streets".
It is amazing the level of "stoopid" currently holding the mean average
of work-ready young job seekers. Between entitlement and lack of interest
in really pushing themselves to excell, that road is a joke. Not only clue-
-less about any sense of Oo-Rah !, but they will drag all sorts of snowflake
drama into the workplace.

Give me Marines ! No one goes through that experience without learning
what a sense of mission is about.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration