How do I connect the meter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: How do I connect the meter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 08:35 am:

I am going to check the voltage output on my mag. Since my T is positive ground do I connect the positive lead on the meter to the mag post or to ground? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 08:53 am:

Steve,

Be cautious to NEVER allow your DC voltage and your Mag voltage to become entangled! To do so kills the mag...

The Mag voltage is AC (alternating current) so it is the mag post to ground potential you are looking at. DC does not come into the picture.

You need an analog meter as a digital meter will see all kinds of interference from the rotating coils and how they generate...

Most suggest that you also run an 1157 lamp to 'load' the mag output for a test and somewhere on the forum archive there is a sketch. If no one else supplies it, come back to me as I built a box to that sketch, but the details are on another computer I'd have to fire up.

I have always been curious about this 'loading' as to the best of my feeble understanding...the vendor offering of a Mag-meter has a gauge that really does not have a lot of actual resistance built-in but I have one on one of the cars...it reads reasonable numbers...it does not bounce around a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Tipton on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 09:07 am:

This info is on the Forum as well.

application/pdf
MAGNETO TEST.pdf (95.3 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Sorry, just found...1156 lamp......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 09:15 am:

Sorry, just found...1156 lamp......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Robinson, Salty Bottom, AL on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 09:46 am:

magneto test for a Model T
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnMUPNFbVWQ

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration