Right hand drive tail light

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Right hand drive tail light
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Mercier on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 10:04 am:

I was wondering what the right hand drive model T's were running for a tail light. Left hand drive the tail light is on the left. Was the RHD light still on the left or was it on the right side also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 10:22 am:

It was on the RH side for RHD, so the tail lights has the clear lens on the other side.

rrr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Mercier on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 11:03 am:

Thanks Roger! My next question would be is how they mounted the plate. Is your license bracket original or is it custom made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Hi Roger, what are you doing with a South African Model T? Have you recently purchased it and if so, from whom?

Paul from Johannesburg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 02:06 pm:

No, I haven't got any RHD T - I just found a picture among old threads on the forum. Don't know anything about the license plate bracket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Mercier on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Thanks for the info. I picked up a JNO BROWN model 105 with the clear lens on the left side and wasn't sure it was for a T. The few pictures I've seen on RHD have also had a light on the left side but that might be because there so hard to find. First one I've ever seen never mind being able to pick it up. Maybe I'll have to run the two or my T. Still I would like to know if they made a Neverout type bracket for RHD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 04:14 pm:

What did they do when Electric lights came out? Like on a 1925 RHD Roadster Pickup. Just move the bracket to the right side? Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

I have a rhd 1910 E&J tail lamp in my toy cupboard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Purely co-incidentally, I had this discussion with Kevin Mowle in Canada. He confirmed that the Canadian-made cars (from where South Africa got their Ts) had a hole on both sides (in much the same way there is an access hole on both sides of the front seat to the fuel tank) to cater for either LHD or RHD.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 08:06 pm:

The electric tail lights I have found for our RHD cars a have the socket at the bottom, as is usual, and the window on the side opposite to those on LHD lights. I bought a few LHD light bodies in the USA so i could make matching pairs of lights for my cars.

Aĺlan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 10:53 am:

I was looking for -- and found at Hershey -- a right-hand taillight with the clear glass facing toward the center of the car for my 14. I wanted it to join the original taillight to turn them into tail, stop and turn signals. No make on the top but it has the brass top and brass bottom font.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 08:29 pm:

The square bodies lamps can be either left or right handed.

Just un solder the side panels and reverse them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 07:51 am:

As a matter of interest, the spare-rim carrier on my Canadian built 1922 Runabout makes provision for fitting a tail lamp on either side of the registration/number plate.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 08:32 pm:

Paul,that allowsthe car to be sold into bot lhd and rhd markets within the Empire. Interestingly, many Australian assembled cars come with custom made spare wheel carriers, perhaps indicating they were imported sans such items.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration