Model T Trailer Restoration (UPDATE)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Trailer Restoration (UPDATE)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Caleb Harbin on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

The other thread was getting a bit clogged up so I decided to make a new post here instead. The old thread can be viewed for progress up to this point here: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/745908.html?1495481951

$213 later (worth every penny), I got everything back from sandblasting yesterday. The next portion of the project comes down to basically making decisions.

1: How the hell do I get the old perch springs out without easy access to shop tools? I have replacements in hand already.

2: Do I try and get a custom metal (or even hard wood) piece milled to fit the inside of the Model A brake drum to replace the wood spindles? If so, how do I get the drum off? It seems as determined to stay attached as the spring perches.

3. How do I get the bed irons at least mostly straightened?

Again, thanks everyone who has provided their input so far! Here's a few updated pictures. I uploaded to Imgur because I can't seem to get them to post at a reasonable viewing size, they take up the whole screen.

http://imgur.com/a/uvhws

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RalphS in NE Oregon on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 12:47 pm:

Caleb,
Here's what I think is going on with your wheels. They took a standard T front hub and cut the spokes off to fit the inside diameter of a T rear brake drum, which had 6 bolts. Then they redrilled both pieces to fit a standard Model A 5 lug wheel. Put everything together and welded it up so it will never come apart without major effort. In order to get it off, remove the hubcap. There should be a castle nut inside with a threaded on bearing behind it. The right hand side of the axle will have left handed threads. My suggestion would be to get rid of those hubs, sell the Model A wheels and get a real Model T front hub and wire wheel. The Model A wheels will not fit a T hub because the bolt circle is different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

To get the spring perches out, which are very difficult by the way, buy some Aerokroil, spray it on the spring perch and let it soak in overnight. Use a hydraulic press to try to get the spring perch out of the axle. Keep the spring perch nut on the threads of the perch so that way the Press does not mushroom it out; otherwise, it may not go through the hole in the axle. If it won't come out with the Press then you will need to use heat. The only torch I have access to is a propane one and that was able to do the job of getting both spring perches out when I rebuilt the front hand on my Tudor. I hope that helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 03:37 pm:

Here's a method that Chris Barker in England recommended some years ago for perches that are beyond repair and not worth saving:

"I drilled them out. A 1/4 drill down the middle, then a larger one which didn't quite reach the surface of the perch. THEN I hammered them with a punch which fitted down the hole. This method tends to stretch the perch and hence shrink the diameter. If you hit the end, you tend to do the opposite. Not difficult. The perch material drills easily."

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/163831.html?1286052679

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 03:44 pm:

This photo should help on how to get that Ford front hub off the front spindle.

If you want to use wire wheels, the Ford 21" Model T wire is a mate to that Model T front axle. But you need the Ford wire wheel front hub too. The mounting is the same as the modified wood wheel cut down you have now that has been re-drilled for those bigger Model A wire wheels.

For perch removal, found that a hot torch is the best, heat and then twist the perch, twisting back and forth seems best for me. Then hammer it out of the axle hole.

Hot with torch, then quench Hammer out.

Below is what your modified front wheel looked like before, this is stock wood wheel for T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Caleb Harbin on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 11:03 pm:

First, thanks for the responses! Happy to have some help along the journey.

Ralph - That would definitely be ideal, however since I am working under budget constraints at the moment (student loans essentially), the cost of model T hubs & wheels I have seen for sale is out of my price range right now. Definitely will be looking towards that next year some time or if I can find a pair for a good price somewhere before that.

Jim - I like the hydraulic press idea, but alas I don't have access to one. I am thinking about going to pick up a butane torch tomorrow and giving that a shot.

Erik - Thanks for that link! If heat doesn't work, drilling will be next up for the perches.

Dan - Did you go straight to heat? Or did you use some kind of penetrating oil first?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration