I hate when I do that!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: I hate when I do that!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Boy I could kick myself! I installed new pedal shafts and put one of the pedals on the wrong way. Oh well, I should be able to get it back off easier than the last time. Live and learn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 04:31 pm:

The start of a RHD T? :-) (No, wouldn't work that way..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Your reverse pedal looks odd too! It looks sideways.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Done that once

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Optical illusion caused by the ribs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Grabowski on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

Norman, It's the camera angle. Pedals were straight before i removed them

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 06:21 am:

John, If I had to list all the times I did a project and then had to go back and start all over, we would be here all night! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

John, read your post this morning. I have been there. Really thought about it today after installing the radiator in my 26. Had just finished installing modern seal in the timer and new fan bushings.Installed the radiator and was picking up tool when I noticed the springs for radiator mounts sitting on the floor under the front axle. I hate it when I do that!!!!
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett in Auburn Ca. on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

Bummer. It could be worse. I have fixed a couple of engines for guys that got them all built and ready to go in then noticed the oil tube on the bench that should have gone in before the transmission was bolted on. Also a few cars with spindles installed on the wrong side resulting in wheels falling off. These cars teach us to be humble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 03:57 pm:

You guys gave me a good laugh. I've done the oil tube snafu a few times myself.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Been there, done that!! Happening more often??? :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

John,

We all make mistakes, that is why they put erasers on pencils. And the T has several places where a part will fit easily more than one way but will not function correctly in one or more of the ways it easily fits. There have been several T owners who worked on and/or rebuilt the rear axle and after installation noticed the car now had two speeds in reverse and only one speed forward. Or who had the spring perches installed so the front axle had negative rather than positive caster (that one is dangerous as the front wheels will try to go full left or full right).

Don't be discouraged, we have all done something similar on one or more of our repairs. You will have it corrected in short order.

By the way if the ribbed transmission pedals are original to your 1924 car, then I would think it is a Canadian produced car or one assembled from parts supplied by Ford of Canada. (Truth in posting – the 7th Edition MTFCA Judging Guidelines list the smooth pedals for Canadian cars starting 1923. From memory (not as good as notes) I thought the ribbed pedals (especially the RHD sent to Australia) continued into 1925. But I need to check on that one.) Note if it is a Canadian T it would have come with the Kelsey loose lug wheels that you shared your car had.

Does the engine serial number begin with a “C” by any chance? Or are there other indications of where the car was produced – Canada, USA, England, ? Some parts that in the 1920s will commonly have “Made in Canada” on them if the car or parts are Canadian are: Radiator shell; Running boards; Engine block, engine head, intake manifold, hub caps, etc. A Canadian car used the square drive Robertson screws as well as some of the slotted style screws. The horn button would be mounted on top of the steering wheel. Any of those items present? Or is it a USA car that has the earlier pedals installed on a later transmission cover (hogs head)?

And congratulations on all the progress you have been making on your car!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 10:58 am:

I once riveted the hand brake cams in on the wrong ends of a rear axle I was rebuilding and did not realize it until I tried to install the hand brake shoes and rear wheels. I was not very happy about that.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 11:33 am:

I once heard someone say if you have a 50 -50 chance of getting it right there is a 75% chance you will get it wrong!
BTDT.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 12:52 pm:

How true !! Our old pal Murphy never sleeps !!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration