Bicycle speedometer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Bicycle speedometer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

In a earlier thread a reference was made about a GPS bicycle speedometer. Where might I buy one of these? Would like to be able to switch from one T to another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Jim, there are many many places to source one online (performance bike and nashbar come to mind). You could also get one if you have a local bike shop (we are still lucky to have one here).

I can not personally say, but it has been said by others that a wireless one can pickup interference from the coils. That makes sense. So by that account, you need a wired one, that has wires from the unit down to the pickup sensor. This is the style Steve Jelf uses.

I have a wireless one on my bicycle, and sometimes, once in a while it gets stubborn and won't pick up the signal or it has on occasion stopped working in the middle of a ride. Very annoying, especially when your using it as an odometer and for other info.

I personally would do a wired version if you want to use one of these, but that would not allow you to switch it from vehicle to vehicle. So maybe you could try a wireless one, but then you would be best to see if you can buy a separate sending unit to mount on another vehicle so you can then just switch the head unit/display.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 01:33 pm:

A GPS computer won't require a wheel sensor at all, but will be quite a bit more expensive. I'd also have some concern about remembering to keep it charged. The battery in a wired bike computer lasts forever. I'd change them at the beginning of the season on my bikes just because I thought I should, but never had one go flat. I've never had one of the GPS computers, but they seem to claim 6-10 hour charge life. Might be possible to hack up something to charge from the car. It would be nice to not have to worry about the sensor wires.

www.performancebike.com and www.nashbar.com (actually the same company now) are good sources. Might be possible to find something used on ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 01:57 pm:

Even some wired ones pick up interference. If you want one, find out what model Steve Jelf has. His works. I got one at Wal-Mart and it didn't. Don't remember the brand. Went to a lot of trouble installing it, lengthening the wires and rigging up a way to mount it and all that, and first time I started the engine, it went crazy. Just as well. I didn't REALLY want the ugly thing on there anyway. That was back in the day of flip phones. Nowadays, anyone with a smart phone already has a wireless speedometer that is easily moved from one vehicle to another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 07:46 pm:

I went on ebay and bought a gps universal automobile speedometer. should have it in a couple days and then see if I wasted $31.oo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

You can also download a Speedo app on your phone if your using a smartphone and they are GPS based of course. I use it all the time and you don't have to put anything in your car except your phone. Oh and it's free. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

I use my phone. Not so much for speed but for fuel milage. Nothing beats sticking the tank tho. I can save my trips and stop and start it whenever I drive the T. Good luck Jim, let us know how it works. Show us that truck you have been working on. Did you get the glass in the doors??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

I use a Cat Eye Velo 5. In fact I use two. One on the touring and another on the roadster. At less than $25 they're not a major expense. Their advantages are: accuracy; not depending on a clear satellite connection; low cost. Their disadvantages are: delicate wiring; odometer mileage is lost if you have to change batteries. I've never had a problem with coil interference.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/759461.html?1496378277

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

I have a small (approx. 1.5" x 1.5") GPS bicycle speedometer that I affix to my lower left windshield with Velcro. It is wireless, rechargeable and works perfectly. Not only does it give me my speed but it also is an odometer, elapsed time and a bunch of other info. I paid $65 for it on ebay. Well worth the $.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:33 am:

Jim Sims, did you try out the speedo yet ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Well, got the gps car speedometer and am disappointed. The ad. did not mention that it needed to be connected to 12 volts thru a USB adaptor and wire. So I hooked it to a little kiddy car battery. It works good but is a PIA to move the unit from T to T. Not quite a waste of $31.oo. Still looking for a speedometer like John Y Dow mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:55 pm:

Hey John Dow, any help finding that GPS speedo on ebay? Name for a search? Thanks, Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John V. Dow on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 10:28 pm:

Look for the BRYTON GPS speedometer on Ebay for about $65. It works perfectly and I'm delighted with mine. I don't know about "interference" from the magneto the others speak of but I've never had any such problem. As I said, mine is mounted with Velcro on the left side of my windshield where I can easily see it while driving. I used it every time I drive my T and it works beautifully. No wires, no hassle, switch from car to car, detach and take it with you when you park your car. Perfect, buy one!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Heffey New Zealand on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 06:06 am:

With so many of us using smart mobile phones, it's a simple matter to download a speedometer application for free. They are easy to use and if the passenger holds it, you don't even have to mount it in your T. There are many many free downloads available and they measure all sorts of things including current, maximum and average speeds as well as distance travelled.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carey on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 07:30 am:

Thanks John Dow. I am still in the dark ages with my flip phone. This should work. Thanks again. Tom

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration