Mirror image

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Mirror image
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 07:42 pm:

Thinking I really ought to have "hind view" mirrors I opted for the popular available item, touted as a period reproduction, nice brass, made in Taiwan. I'm reckoning others have been here before, my concern is the mirror swivel is really "loosely-glossy" out of the box. As the support arm is a sheet stamping, looks to me as if the only purchase it will have on the windshield frame or supports will be the edges of the stamping. Any suggestions ? Owner testimonials ? Thanks for your input !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

I've got the chrome model of that mirror and it leaves a lot to be desired. To help it hold position on the windshield post put a piece of inner tube or like rubber between the mirror and the post.
Trim the rubber to just barely stick out of the bottom and top of the mirror. Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Gelfer, Milwaukee WI on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

I have one of these and it vibrates very badly. There are better ones available for much more money (of course!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Actually like mine on the '23 cut-off, mirror is good size and pretty stable. Of course the T shakes at certain speeds than others, so I just look back when the T isn't shaking so much :-)

Clamped real tight to the stanchion, and used a big nut and lock washer for securing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 09:29 pm:

Just sent you a memail on it Rich!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

I had one. _It's a piece of junk. _Get one of these while they're still available. _They won't be for too much longer because the manufacturer stopped making them.

http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_t/model-t-ford-outside-rear-view-mirror-brass-deluxe-rectangular-head-5-x-7-adjustable-arm-for-open-cars-only.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato, Burbank CA on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 10:29 pm:

I have two of 'em and like Don says, I used rubber sheeting and neoprene to get a better grip. It's clunky, but it works. Saves the paint on the post too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 06:29 pm:

Or go to a swap meet and find one like this one. I bought this one in 78 for $25.00, today they're somewhere around $100 dollars. It's the original of the one above...it's not solid brass other than the bezel, but it does work rather nicely...I'd like to find another one for the other side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

I really like that one Martin. They are where you find them.
I'm happy for you.
Rich, use friction tape to pad the windshield frame from the mirror just for old time sake. :-)
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 07:45 pm:

It ain't easy being a hermit. Guess I'll have to haunt some swap meets ? I'm getting used to my new purchase. One thing, I didn't want to mount it on the windshield frame, ' cause then I wouldn't be able to use it with the windshield folded. Chunk of garden hose and a patch of latigo and it seems snug on the brace. I had to put washers in the arm stampings - still needs a test drive.

Wow !! Rich, can you still get friction tape ?? Where ?? I ain't seen it in YEARS !! (I want some !)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 08:10 pm:

Google it Rich. I thought friction tape was obsolete and just fun to say. I mentioned it on the forum and had some within a week.

Great looking fix on the mirror. You will like it if there is not too much vibration.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 11:57 pm:

Well, a test-drive proves the mirror is not going to be any worse than any outboard mirror on a model T. Most of the time it's a clear view, and certainly makes me feel better being able to see what's coming up from behind. Funny thing, though, on the test run, I drove an eight-mile loop, and only passed one on-coming car . . . me and Hannah and Liz had the road all to ourselves.

Rich, thanks for the info, I will look for friction tape !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 12:59 am:

You can also find it at Home Depot. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration