DID A 1919 MOTOR HAVE A WATER PUMP?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: DID A 1919 MOTOR HAVE A WATER PUMP?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 07:57 pm:

I have a 1919 motor #3313792 which I will be putting in my 23 Touring. My question is: Did a 1919 motor come from the factory with a water pump? Further, did any, near that year come with a water pump?
Thank you, Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 08:00 pm:

The simple answer is No. The very early 1909's had a pump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

I believe only the first 1,500 cars (1909) were equipped with factory water pumps. Your 1919 engine most certainly was not. Any water pump on your engine would be an after market item someone added.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Ford sold to dealers but then dealers sold to the public.Our 14 came from Ford but i think a dealer installed a pump,hand operated klaxon,and a robe rail when he sold it?? I only look old enough to be the org owner but i'm not so?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 08:18 pm:

I should have looked it up first, then answered you. Only the first 2,500 cars were equipped with factory water pumps. The rest of my answer stands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 08:43 am:

OK so Lang's Catalogue for 2017 and McCalley's book on the Model T Ford both confirm that of the first 2,500 Model T Engines for 1909 had water pumps.

Can any one explain why a reproduction radiator cap for a 1909 Model T with water pump cost more than a Model T after 1909 without a water pump?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:01 am:

George to answer your question. Less demand (how many early 1909s are out there) fewer made so the each price would be higher. Granted the 10 times price is hard to swallow, but they are probably only very few made and the style is different. There is no economy of scale making them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:15 am:

John, Thanks. Being an advocate for a water pump, I thought that the reason to abandon a production water pump was the cost of replacement of the radiator cap....ahem......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 10:52 am:

Far from a expert i can say the engine block,head,and timing cover are different to say the least.Do they list a fan belt for the first 2500?? There is a good picture of a water pump T engine in Tin Lizzie by Stern.Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration