Cruise in

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Cruise in
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, June 02, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

Every Friday during the months of May, June, and July my town has a free concert series, TGIF, on the square at the old court house. A stage is set up and various groups come to play from country music to pop, old and new. There are also a few food vendors. On the first Friday of those months the Morganton Motor Club has a cruise in for anyone who wants to participate. Two streets are closed down for the cruise in. I decided to take my '20 runabout for my first cruise in, however, when I tried to start the car, it wouldn't. There was no juice from the battery. At this point, I was afraid I wouldn't make it. I quickly took the battery out of the car and drove to Auto Zone to have the battery checked. They will do it for free. It was 100%. The lady testing my battery said the posts were corroded with a gray coating and that I needed to scrape the posts to make them shiny. So when I got home I scraped the posts with a knife and also used sandpaper. After that treatment, the T started right up. You learn something new every day.

I drove it to the cruise in and it was a blast. In fact I had not planned to stay as long as I did wanting to leave early before it got dark. There were the usual 50's, 60's and 70's restored and unrestored cars as well as muscle cars, rods and a few 30's classic cars. My car was the only T and by far the oldest one there. I had a blast showing folks how a 3 pedal Ford works and everyone was really interested. To say the least I talked quit a bit and eventually settled into a set speech and demonstration how the T works and is driven. Everyone was amazed at the complexity of how to drive it, the coordination and everything you had to remember to do compared to a modern car. I had no chance to sit down for all the people wanting to know about the T. When I started the car to leave early I had a crowd watching me drive off. It was a great experience. There will be one more TGIF cruise in which I plan to attend if I can.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 06:11 am:

Hello David. I live in Hudson, across the river , in Caldwell County. I was not aware of the Morganton cruise-ins but we go to the every Friday evening thing in Valdese. Do you ever go there? I plan to drive my '21 Touring to Valdese soon. We have been taking our '40 Chevrolet sedan or '56 F100. I might come to Morganton next Friday to check out your T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

Tommy. I went to Valdese once without a car to check it out. I sent you a PM.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration