OT Timely Yard Sale find; well ring my chimes!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT Timely Yard Sale find; well ring my chimes!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 11:14 am:

Went to a yard sale yesterday, no T part (Rats) but I did pick up, almost new in box, a "Grand-Pa Car" a tin battery operated "old timey" car that the radiator steams and the sidelamps light and it runs in a small circle; neat! The big buy though, was a table clock, Howard-Miller--not really old, 1980s probably (and this model still in production!). I thought, "Just what I need, another mantle clock" but then I looked inside and saw MANY chime tubes. Hmm, this is a fancy one! So for $25 it followed me home. When I got home, I found it was fully wound (no key with it, they already sold the clock keys!) and not running. Well with a little coaxing and fresh oil on all the bearings, it started chiming, and then I got the striking part to work, and finally coaxed the escapement wheel to swing. It's still running this morning. Retail on one is about $900!!! What a surprise!
However, now I have my Westminster chime mantle clock going, the grandfather clock going and this new one going--Ring my Chimes, this is a bit noisy--oh and there goes the cuckoo-coo clock too! and there's 4 more chiming clocks that aren't running yet. . . .
Uh, just WHAT time is it???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 11:22 am:

Now all you need is a properly outfitted DeLorean to go with all the chiming clocks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 01:48 pm:

-David-
It is certainly not difficult for me to identify with your 'distraction'. I've rebuilt a Seth Thomas mantle clock, which was a wedding gift to my maternal grandparents in 1898. Once again working, it sits above the fireplace in our 'Packers Room'. From that interest, I decided to build a Grandfather clock as an heirloom for my family. A lyre pendulum still needing to be added.
One additional clock of interest for me would be a medieval-type one-handed clock with the 'stone' weights, but I've not seen any of them advertised for a long time. (Maybe, will have to 'go modern' and search online?) Enjoy yourself!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Marv, I have you beat by just 12 years. This clock was a present to my great-grandparents from my great-great-grandfather.

My great-great-grandfather was a Methodist minister in eastern Ontario and kept a record in a small leather-bound book of all his income and expenditures for decades. This was the entry for the clock (third item down on the right-hand page). (George was his son, my great-grandfather.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

Marv,
What great family heirlooms--both the Seth Thomas and the Grandfather clock.
That's a wonderful Grandfather Clock you built. I was always going to build one, but last year, right about on our 40th anniversary I ran into an acquaintance who I knew was looking to move to Texas. He'd found a job and was moving, and his folks were going to follow him, so they had a HUGE yard sale. Well, the Grandfather Clock in his folk's entryway didn't sell, didn't even get a nibble. We went and looked at it, clears our ceiling by about 2" Beveled glass, moon dial, various chimes nearly top-of-the-line Sligh clock and I'm almost ashamed to tell you how much they wanted--less than a G. Clock case only kit and far less than the cost of the movement! So, that has 'deprived' me of building my own. (More time for the Ts etc.) Hard to take a pic of it, as it's in a hallway while I'm rebuilding the living room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 04:02 pm:

-Dick & David-
Beautiful pieces! Enjoy them! Pass on their history, just like we like to do with our T's.
Most casual observers don't recognize the quality, cost, or effort that may go into hand-building a clock. I will attest to 'just' the 3/15 movement (choose Westminster, Whittington, or St. Michael chimes) does far surpass the expense of other components, but it was as much as I could afford at that time.
When you add the tempered bevel-glass, brass face, painted moon dial, and epaulet grills, it quickly adds up. I've kept the 'inventory list' and prints of the components to pass on with the clock. Just wish I had a print or similar from 1898.
Did you know that 'Tempus Fuget' is Latin for "Time Flies"???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Question about 8-day clocks:

Why 8-day? so you would wind it once a week and if you forget one day you still have time to spare?

How long will an 8-day clock run without winding?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 04:42 pm:

Dick,
The ledger page just dropped in (dial up--AAUGH!)--very interesting entries. Note that the coal was the most expensive thing on the list. 24 POUNDS of Butter???? 10 pounds of tea? Clock was as much as 15 pounds of tea. Note that eggs weren't "cheap" either. And all of #3.70 for Christmas presents. Gee, the General Store couldn't make a living on Christmas presents back then!
Neat Stuff, that.
Marv, Yep! And as I age, "How true it is!" (Jackie Gleason voice). Oh bother, I'm dating myself again--oh well, at least I'm a cheap date!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 05:36 pm:

Keith,
Yes, 8 day so you wind it once a week, also, accuracy is not as great when the clock is almost 'wound down' so it's more accurate that way. One of my 8 day mantle clocks seem to run almost 12 days once in a while (What? ME forget???). But, that's rather unusual, I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

There was a man who had a clock
His name was Mathew Mears
And every day he wound his clock
For four and twenty years.
And then one day he found his clock
an eight day clock to be
A madder man than Mathew Mears
You would not want to see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 10:23 am:

Normally 8-day clocks, due to age, will probably run about 7-8 days. If the springs have been replaced in the past 40-50 years then maybe a full 8-days. 8-day clocks will not run over 8 with an original 8-day set of works. If it runs more it either isn't an 8-day clock or someone replaced the works with later ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 11:06 am:

Here's an updated Grandfather clock I made for my kids, who like all of their digital generation, struggle to tell time on an analog dial.

It is a bit of Ethan Allen and a bit of Tim Allen grandfather clock

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

My apologies, Dale... But my attitude feels a bit in-sacrosanct to be replacing 'mechanicals' for technology in a Grandfather clock. Would you rather work on a Model T or try figuring out the computer in a newer model? Each has their own time and place. As we age, we do seem to realize a certain novelty about growing older... Even had a kid yesterday at the grocery store who greeted me with a "Hi, Pops!" At least his face wasn't planted in his I-phone, and yeah, I enjoyed his friendly greeting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

James,
My clock that runs "overtime" is untouched, and although about 40 years old, is basically brand-new, still had all the tags, etc. on it, that's why I figure it will run a bit more than 8 days, might only be 10 though.
Dale, afraid I go with Marv on that G.Clock, that's just a clock version of a "Hot Rod."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 12:15 am:

David, David, David...

"How long will an 8-day clock run without winding?"

It will not run at all...

budda-chee

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 12:15 am:

Yes, yes it is..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 01:56 am:

Keith, Yep, I deserved that. . . .
Just to be fair, an "earworm" for you:
Feeeelings, nothing more than feeeelings. . . .
heh heh heh!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 07:58 am:

I think I have you all beat! My longcase clock is an English musical clock from 1735 and keeps perfect time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 04:25 pm:

-Bill-
All are winners! Intricate details like that unfortunately are often considered as a waste of time today.
Talked with a local cabinet maker who now has added a CDC/CNC machine... Able to cut in such as 'clusters of grapes' plus other designs. We may start to have those details reappear.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration