Generator noise

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Generator noise
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

The generator began making a whirring noise last weekend when I took the family out and was heard yesterday when I took my son to the park. I stuck a piece of dowel on the generator as the car was running and the sound seems to be coming from the rear part nearest the carburetor. I am thinking it is a bad bearing. I am not anticipating a complete rebuild as the generator is doing a great job keeping the battery charged. What are the other common things that need or should be replaced when you replace the bearing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

If the rear "bearing" is a bushing, the noise is probably being transmitted from the gear or front bearing. Check the gear for abnormal wear and that it's tight on the shaft. Check the front bearing and the brushes. Clean it up, test, adjust and put it back in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 02:48 pm:

Forgot to mention: If the rear bushing is worn, it can cause the armature plates to make contact with the pole shoes. Look for scuffing on the armature poles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

It's a ball bearing, no bushing. If still an original bearing in place, it's supposed to be oiled through a little brass oiler screwed into the generator. New sealed permanently oiled bearings are cheap. You can pull the generator and take it apart to evaluate what's needed, at least new brushes and a rivet pin for the gear if you pull it down completely to change the front bearing too.
The MTFCA electrical handbook is a great help. If it takes long time to finish the generator it's easy to make a cover plate to be able to still drive the car (just be sure to isolate the generator cable)

(Message edited by Roger K on June 03, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

If it was original, the rear bearing would be babbitt. The bushing, as well as the replacement bearing, are sold by vendors. Either could be installed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen, South Texas on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 07:13 pm:

Never mind, I was thinking of the starter. Sorry.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration