Alpine History Day

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Alpine History Day
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Today our town historical society had "Alpine History Day". We had our 22 Roadster there. There was also a 14 Canadian Touring there. Behind the Model T's was a buggy which I helped restore. Many of the people in town came out for this event and saw the old cars as well as other historical things about our town. Our car was the one with the black radiator.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Goddard on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Thanks for sharing Norm. Great pictures and beautiful cars. Looked like a nice day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

Looks like a great way to spend the day.
It looks like fun.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 10:01 pm:

So Canadian cars had a different shaped rear curtain than the American version??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Norman, looks like you had great weather. Thanks for the photo. I have a super C just like that. Mine has a draw bar. The fella I got it from said " If you show this tractor they will tell you that draw bar is not original but it sure makes getting on a lot easier". It has been to 3 steam and gas shows and I didnt take it once. The young kids on the fire department over the years have taken it.
Nice roadster!
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Speaking of curtains, Norm i wish i had a roll up rear window like you, then i might actually be able to see what was behind me. :-) Was 22 the last year for this feature?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 01:03 am:

I don't know whether the roll up rear flap was standard on any of the Model T's but mine had it when I got it and it is much easier to drive when I can see what's behind me. It also has snaps all the way around so the whole top can be removed. I have a 26 Roadster which also has a roll up window. That one was there when I got the car too. It has been converted to a rumble seat and is convenient to be able to talk to the passengers in the rear.
You can order a top with the roll up rear window so I don't know whether any of them were standard equipment.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 11:03 am:

That brass car is the Canadian. The top is not stock. The car has been in the family since the 1940's and the top bows have been replaced with permanent bows which cannot be lowered.

The biggest noticeable difference in the Canadian body is that there are front doors on both sides because they used the same body for left hand and right hand drive so the cars could be sent to England and Australia and at least one Canadian province where they drove on the opposite side of the road. There were also some changes made between 1914 and 1915 which were made at a different time than in the United States.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Larry,

Starting in 1920 with the one man top, the Canadian cars used 2 glass steel framed oval windows in the rear curtain.

On page 32 of Robert Kreipke's "The Model T" I believe they show a photo of new 1915ish Canadian Model Ts being driven into box cars. They have what appears to be a standard "tombstone" style rear window.

Norman,

I suspect the body is 1915 or later as it doesn't have the flat wooden dash that the 1914 style had. It is possible that Ford of Canada introduced the 1915 style metal cowl before the USA -- but I have not seen any documentation to support that. If the car was manufactured as part of the standard 1914 production/model year, I know that Russ Furstnow for the MTFCI Judging Guidelines as well as many of the rest of us would like to know more about the car and its history. Sometimes owners are very open to have their car examined and other times they are happy with what they currently know. And either way is ok. If you have a photo of the ID dash plate it should have the engine serial number recorded on it. (USA cars the numbers started to diverge in 1911 but for Canadian production they continued to match the engine number much later into the 1920s).

It is a nice looking car and that it has been in the same family since the 1940s is very special.

Again, thank you for posting the photos.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 08:54 am:

The only thing I know about the car is that the owner says he thought the car was a 15 but the number is that of a 14. I don't know what the number is. Last year he was going to replace the transmission bands and found that the low drum was cracked, so I helped him pull the engine and transmission. We found a drum which was usable and while it was apart decided to replace the magneto coils. We ordered a coil for a 14 and got everything together and couldn't get the hogshead back on. So we sent the coil back to Langs and got one for a 15 which fit just fine. The outer edge toward the block on the 14 coil was flat but the edge on the 15 coil was rounded. The 14 coil was also double stack but the 15 was single stack. Interestingly,however, we could set the magnet to coil clearances with either magneto coil.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration