Help - driveshaft tubing upside down

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help - driveshaft tubing upside down
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 07:35 am:

So I had my rear end rebuilt at a local machine shop. He had sent it to a model t mechanic (sub-contract) but that person had it for months and didn't get to the job.

I received the rear with all of the old parts replaced. Not being model t mechanics, they put the driveshaft tubing on with the hole that feeds the u-joint facing the bottom!

Can I just take the 6 bolts out and rotate the hole to the top? Or will this mess something up? Is there a gasket and is it reusable if I'm careful? Thanks for the advise in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 07:55 am:

Rick -- It won't hurt anything to leave it as it is. You can replace the grease cups with zerks to make it easier to lube.

If you still want to change it, you should be able to do that as you asked about. The biggest part of that job will be removing the radius rods and getting them back in place. That's much easier to do while the 6 bolts are loose.

There is supposed to be a paper gasket between the spool and rear end housings, but there might not be. While you have it apart, you could use some Ultra-Black to seal it up there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 08:06 am:

Mike,
The engine and rear are out of the car. So the radius rods are off. I thought it should be easy but I'm a novice and I've been surprised at what I have messed up by not asking first!! Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:16 am:

Be sure to align the rear end before installing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 10:14 am:

Tom,
Any resources on how to do that? I have the mtfca book, would instructions be there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 10:41 am:

You have to install the driveshaft tube and radius rods at the same time. You can't put them on with the tube in place. If there is a gasket, it's used as a shim to set the pinion gear depth not so much as a sealing gasket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 10:53 am:

Ok. Sounds like the tube was going to have to come off anyway. I really just need to get it rolling for now so I can just hang it and turn the tube when I install the radius arms later.

Thanks to all. I really have a lot to learn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 11:09 am:

Small drum axle radius rods can be installed with the torque tube in place - the large drum cannot !

With the rear lock nut screwed down all the way towards the rear (fork end) along with the lock washer, some "manipulation is required but the radius rods have enough flex to pop the fork end over the axle tube back by the hub brake cam.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Ok. Sounds like the tube was going to have to come off anyway. I really just need to get it rolling for now so I can just hang it and turn the tube when I install the radius arms later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Rick, be sure the ring gear is on the correct side, he may have installed everything upside down (easy to do).while the tube is off pull the driveshaft and pinion out and look to see which side the ring gears is on.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

I can move the universal by hand and the axels turn. Would this be possible in the scenario described above?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

Sure, which way do the wheels turn? if the gear is on the wrong side the car will run backwards in low and high gear and forward in reverse.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

Yes, the axles will turn, but you need to make sure that they turn in the correct direction.

Turn the U-joint clockwise as viewed from the front, and verify that the axles turn in the direction to drive the car forward. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 12:44 pm:

Thanks gentlemen! I was freaking out because I was turning clockwise from the rear and she was turning backwards! I think I'm good!! So much to learn but I'm having fun doing it. Can't imagine being new to this without the internet!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 12:46 pm:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 01:56 pm:

Rick: I did the same thing and should have know better. So will leave it the way it is till-------then change it. So pump grease in there I will just take out the small grease scup and put a small zerk on and pump grease in and put a plug or the grease fitting back in and go on. I cannot figure how I missed the detail
I also thought about taking the bolt out and turning the tube but I had already put the radius rods on and cinched them down.
Oh well if that is the only mistake I make that will be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:23 pm:

Rick you had it right the first time! IF, you have the late style torque tube, all you need to do is pull out all of the bolts, and rotate the torque tube to the top. If you have the studs, then you can't do that. I don't remember him mentioning anything about radius rods!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 08:06 am:

Mike,
The engine and rear are out of the car. So the radius rods are off. I thought it should be easy but I'm a novice and I've been surprised at what I have messed up by not asking first!! Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 11:33 am:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration