OT - More race cars

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT - More race cars
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

Here are some more interesting cars that I saw at an event yesterday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Nice!! Dave in Bellingham,WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 02:13 pm:

Sir,Very nice!! Could you tell us which car is what? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

I'll try, Bud. But beware that I might be telling you more than I know.

The first two pics (red car) are a Frontenac (Model A, I think) powered sprint car. The stickers and display sign indicate that it's a restored original.

The third pic (white/red) is a newly built Indy "Tribute Car". Powered by a Buick straight 8. The owner fired it up during the day and it sounded wonderful.

The fourth pic (blue, Gilmore Special) didn't have any descriptive info, but the dirt on the car is for real. It had just been run on a track and not yet cleaned up.

The fifth pic (red car) caught my eye because of the engine. It's a WWII era Ranger aircraft engine. The Ranger was originally an inverted engine, but for this application the builder has turned it over and reworked it to run upside down.

The final pic (black car) was described to me as a "Mini Offy". It was quite small overall and I was told that a very few Offenhauser engines were made in a 90 cubic inch size for dirt track racing. Apparently this is an original car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:58 pm:

Very nice, thank you for posting.....

I like them all....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration