Transmission Noise

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Transmission Noise
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Nicodemus on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 04:52 pm:

Ok I have been getting a, for the lack of the proper word, a rattling noise when the engine is running and it seems to change when I engage the transmission. I have pulled the generator and started the engine and the sound precised. I have since removed the hogs head and found no sign of a loose bolt and evidence of rubbing. I pulled the timing cover and found nothing out of order. I bought this engine as it is so I know noting about it other than it had been over hauled and not run since then. My question now is the noise you hear in the video normal and the movement of the 2 front drum gears? The noise you hear is very similar to the noise I am referencing.

Here is a link to a YouTube video I made.
https://youtu.be/eX5eTdL9Kxo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Glenn, kind of difficult to determine where that extra slop is coming from in your video. If you grab the triple gears individually, you will be able to see if the bushings are to blame or not. You should be able to slide them slightly forward and back on the pins, but they should not rock on them. Below i linked a vid of my bad bushings so you can get an idea of what bad bushings look like. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BglVMweyqz4&feature=youtu.be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Nicodemus on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 07:49 pm:

I don't have rocking on the pins that your video has, mine moves a little but not a lot. It is the side to side motion that bothers me. It seems to move nearly a 1/8 of an inch or better. They just seems very sloppy to me.

I do thank you for your input though. Surely someone here has experienced a similar issue.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 05:56 am:

I have a very similar situation with my transmission.

The triple gears are sandwiched between the gears attached to the three drums. Any endfloat of the triple gears is caused by endfloat of the drums. I had .050" float and when in the rearward position the triple gears start to rock also. I have reduced my endfloat down to .025"

Looking at the video, you may Also have loose rivets on the gears / drums. Rip it out and have a closer look

Just my opinion. Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glenn Nicodemus on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 07:55 am:

Thanks Alan. I will be getting it out this week I ordered the Model T transmission manual and I have the hand book also.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration