OT- Oil Eater cleaner

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT- Oil Eater cleaner
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Right off the bat, I'll tell you that I have no financial interest in this product. But wish I did; it's great stuff.

And while making disclosures, I should say that John Semprez put me onto a new use for Oil Eater. It's not my own discovery.

For those who aren't familiar with the product, it is a liquid cleaner, sold by the gallon in auto parts stores. It is touted as a degreaser, which it certainly is. I've used it for 15 years or so to clean engines, parts, etc. But now I find out that it is a paint remover as well if you leave a part soaking in the full strength liquid for 24 hours or so. I did scrub the parts with a tooth brush under running water after the 24 hour soak.

Here are some parts that I am cleaning right now. I was able to only get one end of each part into my small supply of Oil Eater, so I'll have to turn each part end for end to fully strip the paint. The black topcoat came off easily in just a few minutes, but the red lead primer took more like a day. I'm not sure what the chemistry of the primer is, but it's been on the parts for at least 55 years that I can account for, so it is probably the good old stuff.

Here's what it says on the container:

"Safe, non-toxic, non-corrosive, biodegradable."

"Not for use on glass, suede, or soft leather." (That may include hands, but there is no warning about hand contact.)

Uses: "Laundry pre-wash, food stains, spots on driveways, cleaning engines, tools, ovens, outdoor grills."

"No flammables, acids, petroleum solvents. Authorized for food processing areas."

Contains (Surfactants, alkaline salts, water softeners, fragrances."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Sounds similar to Zep Industrial Purple Cleaner and Degreaser which I occasionally use or Purple Power.

Zep is available at the big box stores like Menards and Home Depot.

https://www.menards.com/main/housewares/cleaning-supplies/all-purpose-cleaners/z ep-commercial-industrial-purple-cleaner-degreaser-concentrate/p-1444430005294-c- 7097.htm?tid=-1057558683810008541&ipos=21

https://www.menards.com/main/items/media/ENFOR001/SDS/ZU0856128SDS.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

Oil eater is the best I have found. Unfortunatly I have not found anywhere local that sells it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration