Can't put it off any longer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Can't put it off any longer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

The time has come for me to get the driveshaft and rear axle back together. I have been putting it off because I dread it. I would rather take a fit in a briar patch, but if I'm ever going to drive this heap it has to be done. I AM using the original style bearing and sleeve. The first thing is to install the sleeve onto the driveshaft. I have made a mark on the sleeve and on the shaft to keep the keyway and slot aligned. I have THE book but have a question. Should I heat the sleeve before trying to drive it on? What else should I do? Once I get the sleeve on I will feel better about the rest of the chore. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Tommy,Your question is a simple/yet complex one.Back in the day,Stevens made a sleeve driver just for this purpose.Even with it you can get the darn sleeve on and be slightly off. You should not have to use heat to do this.Some are just a good slip fit and some were a real bear. Just be sure to eyeball it real close and use an old sleeve or piece of pipe to drive it on with. If you were closer,I'd loan you the driver.Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

I tried it. Once. Never again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

I have put the driveshaft in a chest type deep freeze,and boiled the sleeve.
As noted above,sometimes is easier than others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Sunday, June 04, 2017 - 10:44 pm:

Tommy, some here will agree and some here won't, but do yourself a favor and use one of these to save yourself some time and aggravation. Just my 2 cents.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/2587PB2.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Tommy,

That keyway looks waaay stretched out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

I would take the advice of John Noonan and buy one on of the kits that used to replace the original sleeve and bearing. A big improvement from the original set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Keep it stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

I dropped off the shaft at a machine shop today to get the key slot fixed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 05:56 am:

They won't be able to do much until the cost gets close to a new drive shaft (though they can have their issues too - John Regan had some correct shafts made some time ago)

But maybe the machine shop can install the sleeve?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 07:30 am:

I figure I would rather have the genuine Ford shaft fixed than take a chance on an aftermarket shaft. The shop I use does great work and their prices are very reasonable. And I will take my thrust washer/bearing that goes on before the sleeve, and the sleeve, with me when I go to pick up the shaft so they can install them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 09:31 am:

Using the original drive shaft is fine if it's in good condition. Using a drive shaft from John Regan is also fine. John is a stickler for getting the original Ford prints and following them when reproducing parts. One of his drive shafts is, in effect, NOS.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 06:23 pm:

I got the driveshaft back from the machine shop. They installed the sleeve for me. Now I can assemble the driveshaft and check for no endplay. If the front bushing needs facing I will take it all back to the machine shop to have him do the cutting. I read somewhere that if it only takes a thousandth or two it is ok to sand a little off of the u-joint yoke, to get the pin in. What do you say? If the play is a little too much, THE BOOK says to remove the sleeve and put a spacer in made from wire?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 08:28 am:

JOY JOY JOY- I reassembled my driveshaft, to check it out, with the pinion nut tight but not torqued, and the ujoint pin inserted, but not peened, and it feels as it should. I will have to take it to work to use the vise. Mine is broken and I have not yet replaced it. Now to reassemble the LH half of the rear axle and see how the ring and pinion gears get along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 08:31 am:

Sounds like things are going well, good luck with the rest of the build! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Friday, June 16, 2017 - 12:02 pm:

Tic toc Tommy. Two days till Fathers day :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, June 18, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

Fathers day drive didn't happen. My wife went to the ER Friday afternoon and was admitted to the hospital where she has been since. So I have not been able to work on the T, until this afternoon. I had 30-45 minutes so I put the axles and differential in the housing , bolted up the driveshaft to check the ring and pinion fit. First try, it appears right on! Next time I have some time I will finish the axle assembly. Hopefully my wife will come home tomorrow or the next day. Then after a couple of days I can leave her alone long enough to work on it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 02:06 am:

Oof! Life sure does get in the way. The ol' lady OK?
I'm pullin' for ya. We're all in this together-Red Green. Meant in the most respectable way Thom.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, June 19, 2017 - 02:20 am:

Not too serious I hope???? Family does need to come first. If we don't take care of them? Who will? Before too long, however, we do need to take care of ourselves also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

My wife was released from the hospital on Tuesday. I was able to work on the T for a short while late Tuesday night, after she was in bed at home. I worked on it some more very early Wednesday morning before she awoke. I now have the rearend halves bolted together. Next I will install the outer seals, sleeves, and bearings. I have watched Steve Jelf do it on youtube several times. Then I will be installing the drive shaft and radius rods and "squaring up" the assy. I will be able to work on it in short sessions over the next few days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

Be sure to install the driveshaft housing and radius rods at the same time, like the Ford service manual says. It is very, very hard to install the radius rods if the driveshaft housing is already bolted up.

Also, when you adjust the length of the radius rods, don't just make them the same - also verify that the axle housings are at right angles to the driveshaft housing. Use the "3-4-5 rule" to verify a right angle.

Also, the lock washers go on the back side of the driveshaft housing front flange, with the plain nuts, like the factory service manual shows. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:46 am:

Steve Jelf shows us how to adjust the radius rods in his video. Anything else I need to know?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 22, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Pay attention to Mark's last remark. I don't think I got it right in the video.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration