TT followed me home. Need help ID, date and direction.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TT followed me home. Need help ID, date and direction.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 02:19 pm:

previous owner thoought 24, but engine number as 15098211 which comes up april 28, so later engine in this tt. 440/450x21 wires on front with adapters, don't know if t, tt, a, or aa. rear wood are 650x20 and one rim is firestone and one rim is ford. vaporizer carb? mag oiler? ruckstal? cowl is rough and dash is rough, may not be correct to truck. fenders and running boards have been worked on, but may be original.

any help id what the bits and parts are and any suggestions as to what to do with it, greatly apreciated.

i'll probably get the cables and some coil boxes and clean out the gas tank and carb and see if this will start and run. it turns over freely

owners says he used to drive it around his farm in the past few years, but?....

thanks in advance, as always.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 02:33 pm:

Probably better bring it to my house. No need for you to have to be bothered with that old truck.
Nice pics. Alot to work with. Should be able to find a cab or build wood cab.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

It's definitely a TT as shown by the rear cross member, battery box next to the left running board and worm and roller rear axle. Your engine number, 15098211, was made in May, 1928, about a year after Model T Production ended, however, I understand that TT's were made for awhile after car production ended. If your TT was made on or after December 12, 1925, it will have the original engine number stamped on top of the right side frame rail at about where the passengers feet would be. It will have dirt in the numbers and you'll probably have to wire brush that area to find the number.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 03:39 pm:

it was my understanding that the t engines were produced up to wwII. don't know how the numbers ran, but presumed that a number much higher than the end of production date for a car or truck just meant that the engine was produced much later and then installed as a replacement .

if no number on frame, the maybe a 24 as the owner states?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Yes, yours is a replacement engine. That said, it's still worth looking for a number on the frame rail.
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 04:16 pm:

I would agree with 1924 assuming the front fenders are original. 1925-27 did not have the "extra" rib that would be hidden behind the splash apron if installed on a car. Also it has the shorter running boards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 04:22 pm:

Top: 1924 & earlier;
Bottom: 1925-1927.

My parts book doesn't show a separate quadrant for the TT, so I assume what applies to the car quadrant applies to the truck also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

I've got the early quad and a rectangular key switch, so I'm leaning towards a 24 tt with an early produced 28 motor with the vaporizer and external oiler on it.

want to get the electrical connected and the motor running and drive something with the ruckstal trans that I've heard so much about.

then decide if I want to keep it or pay it forward to someone who has a desire for the tt side of the hobby

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 05:39 pm:

Nice find! If you get it running, it will want to stay with you. I can't wait until you get it running.
I like that firewall that's been hacked up to slide over the steering column. My TT is like that.
That engine should have the heavy EE crankshaft in it right? I have a June 28 engine with the EE.
Sheesh. The tires even hold air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 05:56 pm:

the tires still have the mold nibs on the tread and sidewall. a little checking, but some paste shoe polish will take care of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 06:33 pm:

Nice TT!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

what about the front wire wheels? correct? TT? two bolts to the adapters and then three lug studs and nuts on each wheel. adapters are new to me

also, does not appear to be threaded, so don't know what grease or dust caps would be correct for the wires. rears have one cap on it, so I can match that for the other rear if I keep it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 07:51 pm:

Fronts are 28-29 Model A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

I was afraid of that I thought the model a wheels had dimples on them along the hub tube and I couldn't find them on these, so I was hoping they were a option on the tt I guess it's what they had laying around, but I would have thought that wood on all 4 wheels would be standard

if I keep this, I know the rears are much heavier spokes and a wider wheel. would I just get 20 inch regular t wood spoke wheels for the front? I don't think tt's carried spares, but if I did, I'd have to carry two different rims and tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

Different size tires front and rear on a TT is pretty standard.

I suspect your truck has parts from several different tears. Many, probably most, do. One indicator is the patent plate, which should be on the cab side of the firewall near the steering column. If it's there, compare it to the ones in any vendor parts catalog. It may give you a range of years.

Another "early"or "late" indication is the rear chassis cross member. The shorter one is an early truck, a longer one a later truck. I don't remember the two dimensions off the top of my head, but measure it and post the result. Won't take long to find out.

Actually, I wouldn't get too hung up on trying to pinpoint the year. Get it going, enjoy it and call it whatever year TT you like. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 09:01 pm:

It's got a car battery box on it, also has single hole rear cab mounts, so definitely early. I'm betting it was a C Cab at one time. You could use 30x3 1/2 wheels on front or 21" on front.

Nice TT. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert L. Rogers on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 04:48 pm:

I would leave the A wheels on the front. TTs were money makers for their owners and so they did what they could to keep the truck in service. What I like most about TTs is that they have a lot of character. I would be the last to insinuate that TT owners are characters, but......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

I don't think the front wheels on the truck are A. The green one definitely is. I don't see the ribs and the center section looks too small to be A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 06:49 pm:

I agree, the center hubs on the ones on the truck look small, like the T wires. Yes, the battery box looks wrong, although it's in the right location. Some TT production kept the coil box on the cowl much later than the car production, so that's not a good dating sample.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

Photo #2 looks like the wheel center has ribs but might just be some reflection in the photograph. If the wheel centers look like a paper coffee cup they are Model T wheels, if the centers look like the green wheel with bumps they are Model A.

Looks like a fun project that should run with a little work. The 2 speed rear end is a real bonus.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 08:52 pm:

I'm almost certain now that they are t wires. the green wheel was an a wheel that I was using for a spare on the war wagon before I got wood spoke whels and rims for it. we dragged it out so I could show my son the dimples or humps on the hub for comparison

the lug nuts on the tt are interesting as they are "closed" with no threads showing. are these something I can located and complete the set? two only on each of the two wheels, so I need 6 more

I see two cabs on ebay, but a little pricey for me if anyone has a lead on a wood or c cab, i'd be interested

on my war wagon, I enjoyed the research as much as I did the restoration and modifications. this is turning out to be the same

appreciate all the thoughts. the tt is a new animal to me from the cowl back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:11 pm:

Thats it!!! Your hooked on TT's and T's. The learning is the fun part. The searching for correct and original parts. No maybe its working on or driving them. Could be the people you meet in this affliction or just the people out on the road. Whatever it is its all fun. Thanks for the photos of your new rig.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

The wheel sitting crosswise in front of the vehicle is definitely Model A. The front wheels on the truck are less clear in the tiny pictures, but they appear to be Model A also.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:48 pm:

i'll take some wheel photos in the morning. I condense the photos so they will load on this site if I don't, they won't load, hence, the size

but i'll focus on jus the hubs. I may even pull one off since it's only two lug nuts on each and see if the hub is threaded for a grease/dust cap. were the t wires threaded for a grease/dust cap like the wood spoke hubs? I know the a habs were not threaded and used a snap in cap

these wheels on the front don't look like they will take a snap on cap as the castle nuts stick out to far, so if they are not threaded for a cap, then I guess no caps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

1) Yes, the T lug nuts are closed end, the tapered part that goes against the wheel is of larger diameter than the hex end, and they are available. I saw some at Auburn & I should have picked them up, don't know why I didn't!
2) the hub cap is deep dished and is put on the wheel before the wheel is put on the hub, there are tabs that go in the wheel hole (many tabs) and you bend over 3 or 4 of them to hold the cap on. I don't think there's an inner cap seal over the nut, but I'm not looking at mine right now. Many As never had them, BTW! (especially the 28s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Nice rig
The wire on it are T the wheel without tire is model A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 03:38 pm:

If your talking on the wire wheel hub having a seal over the end of the axle nut, my two front hubs have caps plains steel caps like any modern day hub would.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 09:31 am:

It looks like the rig was a creation put together by a group of guys for a fire truck, any thing will do as long as it runs. The cargo area was probably a hose bed and the unit was painted traditional red.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 11:07 am:

if I keep it and do something with it, getting the height in my garage will be an issue with a cab on it. were there some tt trucks that were cables? a firetruck might be one such truck. or some sort of farm truck?

waiting on langs order of cables so we can try to get this started on battery and check compression. having trouble find true neutral so cranking the engine wants to creep it along. will probably raise rear axle on jack stands for starting attempts. presume ruckstal trans does not affect anything prior to the rear differential and finding a ture neutral is regular t adjustments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 11:22 am:

TTs were sold as a running chassis only for the first several years of production. New owners would take them to a body shop, carriage shop, or whatever for a cab and bed. Some were home made.

To the best of my knowledge factory TT cabs, C-Cabs and closed cabs, were all "tall". I'm not aware of any "low" factory produced TT cabs. However, some were fitted by their owners with roadster bodies, some with custom built low cabs, and some had nothing more than a wooden seat on the gas tank for a cab. Fire trucks and some farm trucks are good examples of "low" cabs, but they were not factory made.

I hope this helps a little.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

Robert, For a cab you could do something like is in the pictures of my recent Dump Truck post. It looks relatively simple. I have some parts to make patterns off of. I could measure them up if you would like. Send me a PM. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

thanks for the offer, but I haven't convinced myself to keep this or get it running and pay it forward. I have a space issue and a interest issue. the tt was just too good an offer to pass up, so it followed me home. it found me, I didn't find it.

I created my own seat and cab for the war wagon and express style bed, so I could just come up with something on my own. my son is thinking tanker truck on this chassis and is looking at a military surplus water buffalo trailer with water tank and using the water tank for the tt tank and then selling the military trailer bed to someone else to create something with.

it's always something

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration