Browning Tires & What tubes? PART 3

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Browning Tires & What tubes? PART 3
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 06:55 pm:

Well, I shortened the title a bit but y'all get the message. I've been posting for over a year about these white tires (see "white tires revisited") and then Tod Wirth and John Kyprios picked up on it big time with lots of theories, mostly of course with the tubes. Well, I am now entering week number 8 and so far, with my 2016 dated tires and the tubes specified by Langs I'm happy to say so far so good. Friday is the end of week 8. As I recall, last year by that time, they were already turning brown, but it was yet another 3-4 weeks before they really got ugly. So we're not outa the woods yet, but sure does seem like it. These tubes incidentally were from China! And again I have to give Ashley Lang a great big pat on the back for her time and patience and for working with their distributor in getting the tires replaced. Here's a pic of Pete yesterday, they're actually a lot whiter in the pic than in real life, but I'm still happy with 'em anyhow.

Here's one of the front tires after 144 miles...must have my alignment good, the prickly things are still there and fairly even!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kyprios on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 03:56 pm:

Good news there so far Tim, I too am hoping your tires stay white as your current findings are valuable to many of us . Thankyou !

just to re-cap from memory with the EEC type tubes in the rears & universals tubes in the front ..my rear whites took about 6 months before the browning started within the tread at first then spreading to sidewall of my new tires...with universal tubes in the front tires mine started browning slightly around 1.5 years later. my whites were purchased new in 2009 stored in wrapper till end of 2014 when mounted & still with no miles to this day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kyprios on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

anybody with any new developments regarding the newer whites browning

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 02:04 pm:

Steve Jelf has a set on his 1915 runabout.

Steve, how are they looking so far?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, July 27, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Well, I'm not Steve, but since I pretty much started this whole ball of wax over a year ago, I'll also respond. The current set of "replacement" tires that I got under warranty thanks to the diligence of Ashley Lang, plus with the required new purchase of specific tubes, also from Langs, so far so good. It's been since around April 14 I believe that I had them mounted. HOWEVER....for those who may still remember..I mentioned they looked like they were "coated", painted, whatever you want to call it as you can see here.

Now lets fast forward to about three weeks ago. I noticed a few spots of grease on the L.R. inside tire. (naturally..always seems we get some rear seal leakage, don't we? LOL) They wouldn't just wipe off with a rag, so I got out my good ol' lacquer thinner, the grease spots came off readily, but then now we have what sure looks to me like the good ol' fashioned former yellowing (then to brown) of the sidewalls. Kind of reinforces my early suspicion of this so-called coating. As yet, I've not had time let alone ambition to run it past poor ol' Ashley, I knew she was at the Montana Tour, and for now I'm gonna let her catch up on business. I'm not overly concerned at the moment, I've not been getting any more grease leaking out of the axle for the most part, and the stupid tires are at least fairly white now as they were when I mounted, short of good old fashioned road grime. Here's a pic of what the tire looks like now, after cleaning off the grease. You make your own deduction to what I've suspected.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

Tim,
I mounted my tires several days after you did yours. So far, I am satisfied that no appreciable browning has occurred. They are not Lilly-white, but have a light cream colored hue which looks great. Time will tell...
Front Tire
f

Rear Tire
r

Regards,
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:43 pm:

Mike, thanks. Those look good. Mine I would say are pretty close to yours as far as white goes, except for what I suspect is "underneath" the white. One of these days I'll get time to go thru the proper channels to try and determine my "overcoat" theory on these things. Be interesting to know if yours are also a Vietnam product or not. Just because they say Firestone on 'em, doesn't necessarily mean a thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:55 pm:

I think my whites are irrelevant to this discussion, as they're ancient NOS New Zealanders. I don't know how old they are, but they're certainly not current production. Color change has not been a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Sommers on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 12:57 pm:

Tim,
When I opened the tire wrapping a small tag dropped out, saying "Product of Viet Nam". It gave me pause to wonder about all of the changes that have occurred there, after us Imperialist Yankees left. And, yes I know that these are not made by Firestone. I was told that many years ago, Firestone sold the molds to some company, which are used today. The manager of our local Firestone store claims that a royalty is paid to Firestone for each tire, much like the royalty to Ford for logo'ed products.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 02:16 pm:

Mike...that's kinda what I thought. Its a shame us damn yankees can't get a REAL Firestone white tire made here in the states. Thanks for your confirmation. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ashley Lang on Friday, July 28, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

I gotcha Tim. I am still on the road but I see the spots. Give me a call at the office next week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, July 29, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Hi Ashley! Mixing business with pleasure! Tisk tisk! LOL...I'll at least wait 'til the end of the week to let you "catch up" on stuff and catch your breath! That's a long trip back home for you. Not looking to "do anything" per se, just maybe getting some info on my little theory. Heck, if they've got some "special" coating on these, maybe I/we can obtain some for future touch-ups!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration