Tire filling problem?question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tire filling problem?question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

Has anyone else had anything like this? I have been filling tires for many, many , many, years--I am not new to this. It's been a while since I put air in the 30x 3/3 1/2 tires on my T. Today when I put the air to my valve no air will go in. It's as if the valve core is not compressing to let the air in. I checked on My model A and a modern car--no problem . The ties air up easily. I tried the T again and no go. The stems will not let air in but if I depress the valve core air will come out. It's the same on all of the tires on this T. I tried switching to another inflater and air will not go into these tires. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Courtneay on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 07:41 pm:

never mind. I switched the valve cores to new ones and all is well. I've never had valve cores go bad like that. They seem fine to examine them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 07:47 pm:

Harry, it also seems today's cores have a mind of their own. I have one on my '13s L.F. tire that decides to let 15-22lbs. of air out whenever it feels like it. It has to be the stem (core). I soaped up virtually the entire tire from bead to bead and beyond. I did get one little bubble out of the stem opening that one time I checked when I discovered the tire low. Have re-aired 3 times now. So far now it's holding over 2 weeks. Go figure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Not all air chucks are the same. On some the valve in the chuck does not reach the end of the tire valve so does not depress it to allow air into the tube. But if changing the valve in the tube works, good info to know. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 05:44 am:

Most air chucks available today are made incorrectly. I'm guessing probably made in China using some cost saving method someone deemed good enough, but it's not. The center piece that is supposed to depress the valve core is much smaller and more pointed than it should be. When you go to use it, inevitably, it goes down beside the center part of the valve core rather than pushing it down and opening it. It can even bend the center part of the valve core to one side. I finally found a good one at Napa. The center piece is much larger than the ones you find most places. The sides are machined flat and the end of it has a generous flat area that easily presses the valve core open without going over to the side. Wish I was where I could post some pictures of the two types, but all I have is my phone right now.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration