Wheel thud

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wheel thud
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jay on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

30x3-1/2, right front, steel felloe wheel, '22 Runabout.
I push the T forward, I hear a dull thud.
After a complete revolution, I hear a dull thud.
The dull thud repeats at every full revolution.
Right front wheel only.
The dull thud sounds like the gentle tapping of the butt end of a screwdriver onto a wood table top.
What might be the cause of the dull thud?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 11:11 pm:

Spoke or wheel bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

I suspect that even if the car is headed west, north, or east, that's the sound of a bearing going south.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 12:10 am:

Flat spot on the tire. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 12:51 am:

Try tightening the lug nuts before tearing anything apart.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 01:08 am:

First thing: push and pull the top of the wheel right and left. Check for loose spokes, loose wheel bearings or loose spindle bolts. If these are OK, jack up the wheel and spin it. Feel and listen to the front wheel bearing. It should spin easily without making a noise, but not be loose enough to wobble. Let go of the wheel and let gravity stop it. If it always stops at the same place, it is out of balance. While it is up check the surface of the tire for separation or bubbles.
If you don't find it by doing these things it is probably not in the wheel.
Norm

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration