TT auxiliary trans and rear-end

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: TT auxiliary trans and rear-end
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Monday, June 05, 2017 - 11:34 pm:

I drove my TT for the first time today. It has an aux trans that has reverse and 2 forward speeds, and another shifter for the two speed rear axle like a Ruckstell. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the slow forward speed on the original transmission. I will try to adjust the low band tomorrow and see if it works. Also it doesn't seem like the Ruckstell is working because it did not effect my speeds while running on the high speed band. I am completely unfamiliar with all this, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 02:35 am:

What kind of aux. trans. are you running ? Ruckstell straight is 1:1, so no
difference there. Ruckstell low cuts my speed in half, but allows the old dog
to power up hills in high. Not sure how you ever got it moving without low
band without stalling it out.

No photos: it never happened.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 04:25 am:

All I have are phone videos, and don't know how to upload those here. I haven't crawled under truck to find identification on aux trans and rear end. I had no movement when pressing left peddle to floor, but did when putting hand brake all the way forward with lft peddle all the way back. Feathered gas (I have accelerator pedal too), eased handbrake forward, and truck moved off fairly rapidly. Had trouble starting forward on hill, though, with too high of gears.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 04:37 am:

I guess the high and low band are one and the same so sorry about calling it a them. Handbrake stops truck well, but trans brake is almost non-existent. Pretty excited that two days of rewiring, checking plugs,cleaning carb and points/cap, and rigging a fuel source resulted in a running truck that starts fairly easily on the crank. Have to pull starter since I have my rebuild kit now. I was more excited to get the T running than I was when I got my 66 Mustang running, which was purchased to be my daily driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 04:46 am:

Here is a picture the day I picked it up last year. Too many weeks and months of treatments, illness, and college to work on it until now. Poor thing sat all year in my pasture waiting for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 04:49 am:

Sorry, file too big. Damn

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 05:28 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 06:10 am:

It's very likely the bands are shot - they tend to rot when sitting for many years in varying temperatures. But perhaps they're just way out of adjustment, open the lid with six screws on top of the transmission and have a look. Just don't ever drop anything in there!

If it looks ok, then tighten adjustment nuts until the pedals stops one to one and a half inch above the floorboard when pressing hard. The adjuster for the low band sits on the outside. The high speed works with a multi plate clutch inside the brake drum and controlled by a link from the low pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Weaver on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 12:05 pm:

Well, the other thought. Did you have the hand brake in the neutral position when you were pushing on the low speed pedal? Maybe the rear brakes were engaged and not allowing it to move when pushing the low pedal since you said it did move when you had the high pedal all the way forward?

That's a nice looking TT. - Matt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 01:04 pm:

I had the hand brake in the vertical position when pushing left pedal down, not pulling back and not all the way forward. The high/low pedal only moved the truck when it was all the way up, as in the high position, and with the handbrake all the way forward. I guess I will just have to keep playing...I mean practicing. The pedal pushed all the way down seemed to have no resistance or spring back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 02:15 pm:

I'm watching this thread as my newly acquired tt is awaiting our langsorder of battery cables and starter switch before we can get our first start out of it. then some initial driving our first experience with ruckstal trans, so id like to hear how it works out for you

we will inspect our bands while waiting for cables

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 02:24 pm:

Robert,

If your engine is in running condition why wait for cables? It has an Armstrong starter in front. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

I agree. My starter is, at this point, just plugging the holes. Started it with the crank. A lot more work with crank, but the same outcome. Congrats on the new TT, Robert. These old trucks are very endearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 05:47 pm:

Wow... 2 new TTs. One green and one pink. That's OK tho'. Fun is the end result. Gale, you say you have an accessory transmission. Whether it's a Warford or Muncie it'll have straight cut gears and takes a learned technique to shift. Be aware that if you are moving and miss a shift, you're in neutral and have no brakes. If it has a reverse, it's probably a Muncie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:07 pm:

Gale, don't take the starter out until you do some research on it. It won't come out like a more modern one, the bendix has to be removed first or else you will damage the mag coil. Nice project! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 11:50 pm:

Yes, I know. I removed the starter last year, but my son was working 2 jobs and going to college, so didn't get around to the rebuild. I just screwed the starter, minus the bendix, to cover the opening in block. This week we will get to the rebuild. I would love for Ron to supply me with a rebuilt starter, but I can't afford it at this time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gale Bray on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 12:00 am:

Checked bands this afternoon and found the middle drive band lining almost gone. Over the decades someone kept adjusting it until the spring became almost completely compressed. Explains why I have no low drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jeff cordes on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 12:08 am:

I've been known to remove the spring between the band ears and keep driving if it will finish a tour or get the car home.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration