Ignition switch / ammeter wiring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Ignition switch / ammeter wiring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

When I turn the key to battery and the coils fire, the ammeter reads barely charging. When the car is running it reads in about the same spot. When I turn the headlights on it goes to almost full charge. I'm guessing the ammeter is wired up backwards?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 01:05 pm:

Bingo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

Or the battery could be backwards. The battery should be negative ground.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Here's how it goes:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

I set up my car using the diagram Steve posted and only had two issues:

1. My replacement ammeter was possibly manufactured for a Model A (positive ground) so I had to reverse the wires to the back of it.

2. I wish the high and low beams were identified by more than "black." Surely even the originals must have had at least a single coloured thread in either the high or low beam wire to keep them straight.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration