O.T.- 73rd. Anniversary of D-Day-God Bless them all

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: O.T.- 73rd. Anniversary of D-Day-God Bless them all
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Title says it all...God Bless all those brave military persons who gave the ultimate sacrifice on the beaches of Normandy 73 years ago today, so that we can continue to enjoy life as we know it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Amen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:00 pm:

And in 4 days my Dad (RIP) would land at St. Lowe; he missed D day because of an ear infection. Most of the guys he trained with who went in on D-Day did not survive. So, I'm here probably because of an ear infection!
After the Battle of St. Lowe, he was stationed at a resupply depot south of Paris. We found some unusual pictures in his chest he shipped back; wish we'd asked him about the contents before, but it was almost a taboo subject.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Anziani on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

My dad was there. The stories he told would make you cringe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

I knew a guy who was a medic on D-Day. Omaha beach. He told me by the end of the day about half of the platoon he was with was left standing. the other half were dead or wounded. He told me within the week he'd be kneeling behind a hedgerow holding an IV up for a wounded man while his squad engaged Germans in the other hedgerow only 60-70 yards apart. Later on in life he'd become a well respected surgeon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willis Jenkins on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

My mother recently told me, her cousin died on the beaches during D-Day. I want to find out the full story of his ultimate sacrifice.....

Willis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 12:18 am:

My family had several survivors of D day. They never talked about it. It would have been incredible to hear it from someone that was there.

As stated before my wife and I have visited many of the US Military cemeteries through out Europe. It was always a very moving sight to see row upon row of white crosses, standing in silence and remembrance.

It was the very least we could do to honor those that gave so much for so many. Because of the greatest generation, we have the freedoms and lives today we take for granted.

May those that gave their lives rest in eternal peace.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 01:19 am:

Respectfully bowing my head...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 02:32 am:

Several years ago, I had the pleasure and honor of meeting and becoming friends with a D Day survivor before he passed away. He landed on Omaha Beach, fought across France and was involved in the liberation of Metz France and a POW camp, and fought in the Battle of The Bulge under Patton. He was awarded the Silver Star, Bronze Star, and a Purple Heart among other awards. I feel so fortunate to have known him and was able to hear him tell of many of his experiences in our PTSD group. I have known of a lot of WW2 vets, some were relatives, that never talked about their experiences, many I didn't even know they were Vets until they passed on and I saw their obituaries. Most vets don't talk to Non-Vets because they just don't understand. My friend has been the only WW2 Vet that I have been able to talk with. If any of you know of any Vets, try to get them to talk with you, because once they are gone, so are their experiences. I never had that chance and I regret it. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 07:35 am:

Bill A., Yes I can only imagine the horror stories. That movie they made of D-Day (I think it was called Saving Private Ryan?), anyway, I tried watching it, got through the first 3 minutes maybe , it was so intense I quit watching it. Again, God Bless those brave young soldiers. We have no idea the hell they went through.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 09:25 am:

Really liked Marv Konrad's response, "along side you buddy"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

If the D-Day battle portrayed in "Saving Private Ryan" is only an inkling what the reality was, I just ..... I have no words. Those men are and will always be true global heroes. They were the Greatest Generation. I only wish younger folks realize that those guys are the only reason we aren't speaking German. And I mean no offense to any nationality.

God bless and keep our Vets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

My dad was there. Was on a destroyer shelling the German positions during the landing. He said there were battle wagons and some cruisers out a ways and a line of destroyers in next to the beach. The bigger stuff was firing over the destroyers. He told a story about them spotting a German on a motorcycle. They plotted a course and speed on him and nailed him with a 5". He said that he didn't know if it was a direct hit or not but it was close enough. Forever grateful to all who were there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 08:37 pm:

Look up Piper Bill Millin. He was the last man to go into battle armed with just his bagpipes and a sgian-dubh (black knife in right stocking). He marched up and down Sword beach on D-Day playing the pipes and was not shot because the German snipers thought that he had gone mad. Quite a story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Millin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 06:45 pm:

My uncle on leave during WWII. My dad on the horse. My uncle was in and out of VA hospitals for nerves till about 1970. He got pretty good, but a door slamming would mess him up bad. He wouldn't talk about the War at all....

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration