Trickle charger

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Trickle charger
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 07:12 pm:

How long should a brand new dead battery take to recharge using a 6 volt "tender" trickle charger?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

Sometimes up to a couple days. Depends on battery size and condition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

Read the trickle charger instructions. I have seen some trickle chargers that will NOT charge to a dead battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

some charger, even the trickle types will not send out a charge unless it is picking up a correct connection and a slight charge. if your battery is dead, dead, dead, the charger may not do anything.

my golf cart charger is like that and if my batterieds are totally dead, I have to use an old "dumb" charger on each battery to give it some charg and then my "smart" charger will pick up the amps and start doing its thing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 11:40 pm:

In reading Kevin Whelihan's post, a couple above this one, I have had pretty much the same experience as he mentioned:

I've never tried to charge a completely dead battery, but with a battery that's run down so much that it doesn't have enough charge left to turn an engine over, I can connect the trickle charger that day, let it charge all night, and all the next day, and the morning after that, the red light has turned to green, indicating a fully charged battery. Mine charges at one and a half amps, and slow as that is, even with my very limited knowledge of anything electrical, I think that is a very "gentle" and safe way to charge up a battery. Anyway, FWIW,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 07:37 am:

If this was a brand new dead battery, frankly I'd be taking it back to where you got it and DEMAND they supply you with a good fresh, properly charged battery! Sounds like you were ripped off to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 09:39 am:

A 9 v flashlight battery can be used as a voltage source to 'fool' the 'smart' charger to begin charging a flat battery. Takes just a touch to get it started and it stays engaged until charge is complete. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 12:01 pm:

I like the technical info that Deltran Battery Tender has on their website. This link should provide you the answer you're looking for.

http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/2154717/pdf/Battery_Charging_Basics_OCT_2015.pdf?t =1496263256009

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration