Hand Controls

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Hand Controls
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

These were made for my dad by some friends in the Horseless Carriage Club; unfortunately I don't know who. My dad had a 1915 Roadster when he was diagnosed with M.S. at the age of 48. Friends in the club installed a starter on his car, and they made and installed these hand controls. The top of the levers for the reverse and brake are removable so he could get his legs past them. This was not necessary for the low gear as it was mounted near the hand brake. There is a single notch on the low gear control for neutral, and multiple notches for setting low gear. The linkage rods are made out of 5/8" rod. Connection to the pedals required a single hole drilled through the face of each pedal, about 1/4 of the way from the top. There is a neat brass top for each rod; when these were painted up and installed and the brass tops were polished they looked like they were period - correct. These added a number of driving years for my dad. Hopefully these pictures will help someone else.

I know I have a copy of an article with pictures showing these installed but I can't find it, and I wanted to get this posted.

I am not sure what the brake release lever is off of.

One of the pictures shows the pawl that was made for the low gear ratchet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:19 pm:

Gary,

It's getting late, so I don't have time to search for it, but I know we had a least one question on the forum about hand controls for a T about 10 or so years ago. And I'm sure there will be a few more in the future. The photos will give some good clues on how it has been done. And if you find the article or if you remember about when it was published in the HCCA Gazette that might add additional details that would make it even easier to duplicate.

Again thank you for posting the information.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

(Message edited by Hap_tucker on June 06, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

Try this link...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/755160.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

My dad died on Christmas of 2001, so the article would have been in the mid to late 1990's. I don't know if it was in the national or Gold Country local, or both.

I remember a few posts over the past few years, I just never dug out all of the pieces. The request Wes just posted the link for is what reminded me to get them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:50 pm:

I found the hand written draft of the article. Gerry Dishong was the person who came up with the idea, built these and installed them in my dad's car. I do not have any original photos of them installed in the car, only these pictures of xerox copies..... Hopefully they will help someone.

The low gear bar goes on the outside of the handbrake lever, and the rods connecting reverse and brake controls to the pedals are on the 'inside' of the control levers, so they are only a few inches apart as they cross the floor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 01:22 am:

Grove London was in the Gold Country HCCA driving his swizzle stick T when I joined. Gerry's clever adaption allowed Grove and Gary's mother to continue participating in club activities. It is good to see these parts again, I hope they will help someone else to safely continue driving a T.

Gerry was a real mechanical genius, he had a 5 speed Toyota transmission in his 1913 T... I am not really sure why. He was a superb machinist for Lawrence Livermore labs. I bought my first antique car (a 1929 Buick) from Gerry. When he moved across the country to California in the 1930's it was on a Harley with Barbara and a child in the side car!

Both Grover and Gerry were really neat guys!

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Thank you for your post. I have had 8 surgeries on my left knee plus to for the replacement, two MRSA Staff infections. Last surgery was March 1st.2017. Just started rehab. Hope to get enough flexibility to operate the first peddle. Would have loved to have seen this set up live. Have been working on something to hand operated the first peddle. Not nearly as neat as this. Have four T's and they have basically been setting.
HD

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

This is awesome. Thank you for posting!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration