Brake options

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Brake options
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Konarowski on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 09:46 pm:

I was thinking on getting Rocky Mountain brakes for my T that has a two speed rear end. Are R M a good setup or is there something better to slow me down. Looking for pros and cons not sure what avenue to take. I hear R M are very poor in reverse. Thanks Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

There are a ton of previous posts on this topic. Go to the "keyword" search above and search for "Accessory Brakes" or "disc brakes" and you will get many responses. Make sure to change the number of days to search to like 700 days that way you get two years of responses.

I just ordered a set of disc brakes for mine. Should be here this week. I went with best brakes over best looks. For me it was an easy choice. I live on an extremely steep hill that I have to go up and down each time I drive the car. With my wife and kids in the car there was no other option for me.

Good luck.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:25 pm:

From what I've read, the current AC brakes don't have the reverse problem you have with rockies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:34 pm:

The price of the disk brakes is really making me balk but I think I am just putting off the inevitable. With my wife and kids in the car, plenty of hills, and other drivers out there I think that the extra measure of protection is well justified. Worst case scenario the disks could always be taken off and everything is back to stock.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 11:42 pm:

I have discs on my Fordor and Love them. Have Rockies on my Runabout and they do well also. Discs are best though. They work when wet etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 11:44 pm:

This didn't "bump"....SO BUMP!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 01:28 am:

The problem with discs is their looks. If you have a 1909-25 T, the small drum AC made by Larry Sidmore in California is a good looking alternative at a better price. Due to potential legal issues you'll have to make the linkage yourself or buy from another supplier..

yyy

(Message edited by Roger K on June 07, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 02:40 am:

Richard Baughman makes the AC linkage.

richandbertie@gmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 05:23 pm:

I have Rocky Mtn. Brakes on most of my cars and AC brakes on a runabout. I find the larger brake drum and self actuating feature of the Rocky Mtn. Brakes to be better on the heavier cars but the AC brakes are just fine for the lighter runabout. I set the Rocky Mtn. brakes up so the transmission brake is also still functioning so the weak action of Rocky Mtn. Brakes in reverse is not really an issue. I have driven cars with disc brakes and was impressed but I just could not do that to a T. I am not looking to go more than 30-35 mph and period correct auxiliary brakes are more than adequate for that. I might not feel that way if I wanted to run my T at 50 mph but for me that defeats the purpose of owning one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

Val

AMEN to everything you wrote

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

AND, their is NO reason to have rods on outside brakes! As far as I know, they all had cable operated brakes, which are way simpler, and take up half the room. The problem is the reproduction guys don't do their homework BEFORE making a product, and that is unfortunate for the hobby.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration