Struggling with my magneto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Struggling with my magneto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:11 pm:

Hey guys, I'm struggling to get my car to run on magneto again. Background - car was pulled out of storage for 45 years, had coils rebuilt and started daily driving. One time I was able to switch to magneto and the engine kept running. I was able to drive about a mile then the engine started coughing and sputtering and finally just quit. I switched to battery, fired it up and kept going. I have been driving the car on battery (6v) for a few weeks now. I have to recharge every once in a while.

Things I have tried, realized or switched -
The ammeter was wired backwards.
Rewired the ignition switch so that the magneto side was now battery, to rule out the switch.
Did the lightbulb test, bulb glows bright at high throttle but didn't burn out.
Tried to recharge the magnets on the magneto.
Tried prying the crank forward.
Did the lightbulb test at the ignition switch to rule out the wire (it looked a little shady in spots)

I can't find a analog voltmeter to do the actual readings.

Any advice or other things to try?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:30 pm:

Have you checked/cleaned the mag post? Sometimes lining fuzz collects there, gathers metal debris, and makes a partial ground. Be gentle. It's easy to strip the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Chady on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:52 pm:

Yes, did that as well. There was fuzz but I don't think it was enough to do anything but I cleaned it off. Still won't run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Davis Houston TX on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:53 pm:

John< measure your mag voltage. that tells all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 11:02 pm:

John:

Go to the electric supplies aisle at Lowes or other big box store and you will find small ANALOG type VOM (Volt/Ohm Meter). They sell for under $15 typically. I have a small one from there that I keep under my seat and won't care if it gets loaned out and never comes back which happens to me a lot. Look for one that has a 50V AC scale on it. Nice to also have a 10V or 15V DC scale on it to for other things. Then do the 1156 light bulb test again while running the engine on battery. I think you said you "tried" to recharge the magnets. There is no such thing as "try". Yoda said there is simply "DO" or "DO NOT" :-) You need at least about 7V at idle but more importantly you need to be able to crack the throttle and quickly see the AC voltage go above 20V and the bulb get really bright and hopefully burn out. Then you have a magneto. DO NOT waste your money on even a cheap digital meter since it will give you erroneous readings when you run the test.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration