Gear Oil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Gear Oil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

I have been trying to determine what gear oil to put into a TT worm rear, 600 wt came up obviously, but adding a Ruckstell means that a lighter oil should be used.
Various products and combinations of products were mentioned. Lubriplate 140 was mentioned as a substitute both 600 and lighter grades for Ruckstell equipped axles. I noted on Lubriplateís web site that they have a worm specific oil the local dealer moved and is not local I suspect is a good product for the application but I saw prices around $30 a quart. As I continued to search I happened on an article that helped clear up a number of things

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Transaxle_oil.pdf

The article is very much worth a read.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Tuesday, June 06, 2017 - 10:40 pm:

The article did not exactly help me to pin point what might be the best solution but it was so I wrote a note to the author of the article to see if he could offer some assistance. His response:

"It is nice to get interesting, and yet easy questions to answer.

There is an excellent product on the market in many countries (you donít say where you are located), Outstanding in brass protection. I have a version of it, but generally you will only find it in the Chevron Brand, marketed as Delo Gear 85W-140. You should not have trouble finding it. One of the advantages is that the total thickness of those little balls are 4 to 5 times what the sulfur/phos coating gives you, and it constantly tries to stick like magnets.

We use different viscosities of this formulation for the brass journal bearings in the sugar mills and cement plants. The EP additives are polar, and are like little sub-micron balls rolling around the surfaces.

As for the conversion, Iíd say that if the 85W-140 was too thick, you could mix a little of the Delo Gear 80W-90 with it to thin it down a bit. The critical points would be whether, when cold, the 85W-140 will flow into the satellite bearings (or whatever they are called where you are).

Hope this helps

Widman International S.R.L.
Carretera al Norte km 6
Santa Cruz de la Sierra - Bolivia

I am sure the oil is no miracle product, and we all know there have been many advancements in oil technology, but it seems that there are a lot of additives with films that could cause premature wear based on Richardís article referenced above.
I was not able to find quarts but I did purchase a 5 gallon bucket so I am set for life -Hope it works well and I hope that some of you will find something useful in this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 12:14 am:

I posted the same link in a thread regarding rear end lube about a week ago. Good discussion over there as well.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/759257.html?1496156345

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 12:52 am:

McMaster Carr has synthetic gear oil that would be excellent for your TT bronze worm drive rear end. It's available in 1 Gal. containers.
Will not attack bronze or brass.
I have used it for years in my 2 cylinder REO planetary transmission which has bronze gears.
My first set of bronze gears/bushings were badly damaged due to large quantities of Sulfar utilized in conventional gear oils. Does your gear oil look like it has gold when checked?
I learned the hard way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 06:32 pm:

Sorry Dan, I haven't been online so much lately. I'll check out the other post. -We have had lots of rain and it just kills the internet speed. Complain doesn't seem to do much, I suspect the customer density is too low for them to restring new cables that wouldn't have issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Carrico on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 07:18 pm:

Les, My gear oil looked surprisingly clean, but based on other clues I do not believe that the truck was used much since the last real work was done in the late 60's so there may not have been a chance for wear, or the oil may have worked great, who knows.
I read that McMaster had oil that was appropriate, but I did not see enough information on their site to verify much about the oil. It may be excellent.

A 5 gallon bucket of the Chevron Delo was $107 with tax so a bit less than $5.50 a quart.

it seems that the issue is not with modern oils eating yellow metals which apparently was somewhat of an issue some years ago thus a vendor may claim that it is compatible with yellow metal, but there is a second issue: Some oils have additives to form a tough sacrificial layer on steel -Between two steel gears this layer is constantly being chewed up and renewed thus the gears hardly see any wear. However, if you have steel against a softer metal that does not develop this sacrificial layer thus the softer metal will have increased wear.
I have very little way of quantifying if the wear would be significant, so I am just attempting to find an oil that has reasonable assurance that it will be acceptable.
I suppose the 600wt is also just fine but it costs nearly twice as much per quart and is not particularly recommended for Ruckstells.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Napa sells Sta-Lube gear oil in 140 wt.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration