Taillight wiring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Taillight wiring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 07:52 am:

One thing left to do before I drive my '21 Touring is wire up the taillight that I have already mounted above the license plate holder. I wonder if I need a diode to do it right. I want the taillight to "burn" when the headlights are on, bright and dim. If I connect to both bright and dim that will make both on together , will it not? How do I separate them while still tapping in to both bright and dim? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 08:10 am:

Tommy
Here is a wiring diagram showing how to correctly wire the taillight on a 1921 Model T Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 08:12 am:

Here is another correct diagram which is a bit easier to follow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 09:14 am:

And as you can see on the diagrams, there's a separate screw on the back of the switch where the tail light wire is connected, so it'll get power at both dim and bright. The switch may have to be refurbished - you can fix it yourself by carefully taking it apart, planing the inside of the back plate, cleaning the bronze contacts and putting it back together. If it has tabs that needs to be bent, they may have to be annealed to avoid breaking them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 09:22 am:

Pardon my ignorance, please. I had forgotten that there was a connection on the switch for the taillight. I was thinking that I needed to tap into the headlights. Thanks

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration