Prop nut locks, when were they used?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Prop nut locks, when were they used?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:41 am:

for those that have even heard of prop nut locks. Has anyone got any info on years they were used?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Hi George,

Well, given that they were an aftermarket item it might be hard to say. I can't, at this moment, recall the earliest ad that I have seen for them.

After loosing an original prop nut from my '14 (Grrr, gosh, shucks, and darn) I put them on every prop nut on my cars. As a period accessory I would feel free to use them on any car with prop nuts. Good luck with your project. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

They came from the factory on my 1907 Autocar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 08:07 pm:

Okay,..."prop nuts". Either everybody knows but me, or,.....nobody else wants to show their ignorance like me,.....so I'll ask. What are "prop nuts"? I Googled it and it said,...."propeller nuts". (???)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 08:16 pm:

Harold -- They are the round nuts on the "top prop", which is the pivot point for top irons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 08:20 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/61186.html?1217300237

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/167182.html?1287851395

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 08:21 pm:

Harold-
They are the round headed "nuts" that thread on the top irons to hole the top sockets in place.

George is looking for a special locking washer that folds over the square part of the nut to keep it from turning, coming loose and falling off.

Here is an image from Mac's Catalog for the Model A. They are too small for Model T.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 01:20 am:

Ahhh,...."Top Prop Nut".....got it! I guess I knew what the fancy little nut look like, but I sure didn't know (or recognize) the proper name for them. Thanks guys,....I learned somthin'!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george schreppler on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 11:03 am:

Thank you gentlemen for all your knowledge on this subject

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 01:18 pm:

I have always heard them referred to as French locks. Buick (and perhaps other manufacturers) used them on their exhaust manifolds since lockwashers won't work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 11:58 am:

I think Restoration Supply in Escondido, Cal. may sell them. It doesn't matter when they were used, if they keep your prop nuts from coming off!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration