Running True Fire on Mag

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Running True Fire on Mag
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 12:00 pm:

Does a True Fire system run on mag? If so, do you just switch over like you would with original coils?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

They run on DC. If your magneto is working you should just be using it.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 04:07 pm:

No! The Truefire is designed to run on 6 to 12V DC, negative ground.

If It were me, and I had a car with a working magneto, I would run the stock coil setup to get the full "Model T" experience! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

just to clarify---your mag puts out 4 to 25+ volts AC.. depending on RPM....not sure this would fire your Trufire...Maybe an EXPERT knows...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 05:41 pm:

However IF your T has a Hienz or other similar style coil box and you have a working mag, then using it to charge a 12 volt battery and running a Tru fire is definitely worth considering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

I was asking because I am in the process of buying a car several states away which I have not seen. The current owner says it has a True Fire system ( no coils) yet runs better when switched to mag. Am I missing something? How can this be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 06:18 pm:

I'm hoping you buy it, just so that you can post pictures of how it is wired, so that we can see how what he describes is possible! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 06:36 pm:

I can think of a way it could work. If the mag is connected to a diode and the circuit included a choke coil and capacitor it might just do what is described. There are more experienced electrical guys around. The Tru fire runs better on more than 6 volts I believe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Well, barring some calamity, I will get it in a few weeks so questions will be answered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

There is very little if anything that the TF and Magneto have in common. The TF has its own coil module and really needs a solid 12V to run well all the time. When is was found lacking because it would not work on 6V the source then added a 6V to 12V converter device but it doesn't work very well and does not give the same source power of 12V that the TF seems to need. The 6V to 12V converter doesn't have enough power IMHO and I think it shows up when the 6V battery is even slightly below full charge or so it would seem. I owned a 1997 Ford small V8 expedition at one point and the TF was essentially HALF of that engine's ignition system repackeged with a few 555 timer IC's wired as one shots added here and there for function or in some cases to make sounds like coils clicking. It works not too bad on straight 12V from what I am told. If it fails on tour you are gonna be SOL. It uses bare steel contacts to mate with phosphor bronze contact springs in your coil box so expect to have to clean off the dissimilar metal oxidation that will form there. It is not a unique design but really is another case of something taken off a modern car and used to modify the T. Not unlike using an alternator pulled from a modern car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:10 pm:

I've been running a Tru fire for 15 years. Never missed a beat. ZERO maintenance

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 12:17 am:

I run several Tru-Fires and would not have a T without them. Now I use the Tru-Fire converter to charge my 12 volt battery to fire the coil pack.

Its a perfect combination that has given me many trouble free miles. I believe the converter is about $75.00.

At driving speeds the out put is about 6 amps and 12.9 volts. I use a riding lawn mower 12volt wet battery. Trouble free and very dependable.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 07:10 am:

Guess they're better than a distributor. At least they look like you have a model t ignition system.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 08:17 am:

Betsy came to me with a Truefire because she is missing her magneto. :-(

The buzzing sound it makes to simulate the coils' sound is kinda cheesy, but otherwise it works well. I'll leave it on until the engine needs to come out for some other reason, at which time I'll install the correct magneto and convert back to the stock ignition system.

I do have an E-timer and five fresh Coilman rebuilt coils on the shelf, I suppose I could switch to them to get halfway back to stock. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Tuesday, July 11, 2017 - 04:38 pm:

Well sure enough it runs on mag with noticeable improvement and the reason is the magneto post wire goes to a "magneto regulator" which has a true fire label and Bittner Engineering on it. There is an input terminal marked Mag AC and an output terminal marked 6V DC. I don"t know what is inside or how it works but it doesn't matter since I have removed the whole system and gone with an E Timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 09:41 am:

Looks like the magneto voltage regulator is mentioned on his website:

http://www.true-fire.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 09:44 am:

John
If you want to part with the Tru-Fire set up you have, I'm interested

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 09:48 am:

Some folks on the forum poo-poo the Truefire, but I have noticed that used ones get snapped up fast - wonder why that is? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Wednesday, July 12, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Les, PM sent.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration