The model T Truck Rack

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: The model T Truck Rack
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

Went and meet Dallas Landers and saw his model 's! He has a combination rack that will do anything one could think of! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 06:39 pm:

Yes I finally got to meet Bud!. We checked out my buddys Scripps Booth and had a good visit. Time was short as Bud and his grandson drove about 180 miles down here. Was very impressed with that grandson Bud! The truck rack is The American Convertible Truck Body. AKA 8in1 truck body. I will get it outside and get photos of different positions. I am glad David Stroud rescued this bed years ago. I know that the Martin - Parry cab will not be finished in time for the steam and gas show in August but I hope to get it up and running for that. Glad we finally got together Bud. Did you ever get your icecream ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 06:48 pm:

Dallas,Yes we did get ice cream twice from some young Amish fellow at a roadside stand close to Emma. I wish we would have had more time but where is the steam and gas show in August?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Lagrange is on S.R. 9 about 7 miles north of my place. Fairgrounds.They have steam engines plowing, tractor square dancing,steam powered saw mill, tractor and antique swapmeet. A few trucks. Last year the fellow with the Indiana truck was there. Always fun. Glad you got your icecream.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 12:30 am:

Dallas,I think the TT and rack would make a good story/write up for the vintage Ford?? Sorry to go on and on,but i can't get over everything that truck rack will do!!Bud.PS,We went through Lagrange on the way home this afternoon.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 04:26 am:

Bud, how did the Amish hold the ice cream cold? Do they harvest lake ice during the winter? (Or maybe there are exceptions when they can use modern technology..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 08:33 am:

Roger,My guess would be a propane freezer?? It was just a little roadside shack like on used to sell veggies but they only sold good cold factory made hand dipped ice cream.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Bud is likely correct on the gas freezer. There was an Amish family on one of the remodel shows a couple years ago and the kitchen looked like any other modern kitchen. The stove was a large gas or propane unit and the fridge was as well. The cabinets were not your big box store variety and were local made by one of their own. It all looked very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 04:25 am:

Dallas, Bud has a good idea about a write up for the 8in1 Bed. Hope I can find that literature for it! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 08:30 am:

David,I only had a idea but between you and Dallas i hope you can make it happen.With the Marten Perry cab,the Chicago three speed,and that rack it had to have been the handiest Model TT ever built! Bud.PS,I forgot about the high speed rear end!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 03:05 pm:

Bud, there is also a Rocky Mountain Six Speed transmission that's going to go in it(I hope! :-) ). Between my now deceased best friend and I,we had that trans for over 50 years. Now it's Dallas' turn, hope he uses it. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Hoekstra - Katy TX on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 03:31 pm:

Here are links to the The American Convertible Truck Body, 8 in 1 truck body:

https://books.google.com/books?id=5SAjAQAAMAAJ&pg=RA3-PA34&lpg=RA3-PA34&dq=the+a merican+convertible+truck+body&source=bl&ots=WV62Orc826&sig=uGS7_88kuia-X-E88irA IOLdtyQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQuPGgqLPUAhUKxoMKHW1cCV04ChDoAQgmMAQ#v=onepage&q= the%20american%20convertible%20truck%20body&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=5fEyAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA122&lpg=PA122&dq=The+America n+Convertible+Truck+Body&source=bl&ots=jvIMpnJ2mK&sig=GAlD7DkswC5FDZaYd61G-NIUPJ Y&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjlrozxoLPUAhXG54MKHaZhCFgQ6AEISjAN#v=onepage&q=The%20Ame rican%20Convertible%20Truck%20Body&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 03:58 pm:

Stan, thanks so much for those links! We've been looking for something like that for months. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 05:32 pm:

Been a busy day with graduation parties but thanks Stan. I can do some study on the subject now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

I am curious about that Rocky Mountain Six Speed for a TT. I had a Universal (the brand name) three speed progressive shift in the first boat-tail speedster I had. The rocky Mountain and Universal transmissions were very similar. The car version I had, had one of the highest geared overdrives I have ever seen. One turn in equaled one and two thirds turns out. A sixty-six percent over drive. Thirty percent overdrive is much more common.
I am wondering what the ratio is in that TT Rocky Mountain?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 11:47 pm:

I hope someone will post some pics here--that site is so visual, I cannot view it on dial-up. I'm sure some other folks have that problem too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 02:58 am:

Wayne, I never got around to checking out the ratios and I don't recall if my buddy ever did either. Maybe someone will chime in here. Dallas, are you listening? :-) :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 03:00 am:

David D. I'll bet Dallas will when he gets a chance. I'm not 'puter literate enough to post anything other than words! :-( Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 03:30 am:

Thank you David S! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 05:37 pm:

I havnt got to check out the Rocky Mountian yet. Not having much luck with copying info from link on 8in1 bed. Tons of good info on comercial trucks. I could spend all day reading 800 and some pages. Thanks Stan!!
Dave, I have to get a generator and coil box yet. Ready to get it started and try it out. Took about an hour but I got the cap off the gas tank without damage. Gasket was really stuck. It got up around 90 today so no work in garage this afternoon. My web skills are lacking, so if someone has time to post the 8in1 truck body info that would be great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:33 pm:

This is as good as I can get. The quality just ain't there as far as I can tell.
I'll get the next one up in a minute.

8in1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

This is nice but the quality...
This truck body is sooo cool!

8in1-2

Thank you Stan! These are neat!

(Message edited by Duey_C on June 11, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:19 pm:

Ooh!
I believe this is the verbage from the first pic.
Edited for clarity... Maybe. ;-)

The 8 in l American Convertible Motor Truck Body Built by the American Wagon Company Dixon, Ill.
This body is built especially for farm use and is furnished in various sizes listing from $110 to $137.50
The feature of this proposition is that eight bodies are furnished in one while the range of sizes permits the use of this body on any make of motor truck from ton up to 3 ton capacity.
The body illustrated is mounted on an Olds mobile ton Economy truck It is 9 feet in length and 45 inches in width and has a capacity of 61 bushels of small grain.
Weight of the body is 690 pounds.
The large illustration shows the flat rack with the scoop board down. This position being adapted for hauling fruit and vegetables in crates, grain or produce in bags, baled hay etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

2nd.
8 in 1
AMERICAN Convertible Motor Truck Body Costs no more, weighs no more-with its exclusive combination of 8 totally different bodies-than any one of those bodies on an ordinary, well-built single-form truck.
Convertible from any of the 8 types to any of the remaining 7 in one minute.
One motor truck AMERICAN equipped-
Takes the Place
of
A Fleet of Trucks.
The 8 in 1 AMERICAN Convertible Motor Truck Body puts money in the pockets of owners with more than one use for their trucks.
Saves additional expense of extra chassis bodies, drivers, storage space and fuel.
Eliminates the wasteful practice of allowing one or more trucks involving heavy ipvestment to stand idle part of the time.

In your business, where one motor truck might operate at a loss under ordinary conditions, the same truck equipped with an 8 in 1 AMERICAN Convertible Body should pay for itself and make consistent profits for you from the first.
Serves in the place of a fleet of 8 cars, at the cost of one.
The 8 in 1 AMERICAN Convertible Motor Truck Body fits on any chassis Attached without machine work, and removed if desired as easily as it goes on.
As firm and secure on the Chassis as the strongest one-purpose body.

Ask your dealer to demonstrate the AMERICAN 8 in 1 Body.
It opens up a chance for big savings and additional profits for you.
Or write us direct for free illustrated literature and details.

Dealers-A big new field just opening Rich with prospects and big business.
Write or wire for details.
Some good territory still open.
Immediate action essential.

THE AMERICAN
WAGON COMPANY
Dixon, Illinois
PLEASE MENTION THE COMMERCIAL VEHICLE WHEN WRITING TO ADVERTISERS
(I22 THE COMMERCIAL VEHICLE N b 1) 1916

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

Duane, thank you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

The thank's goes to you Dallas for showing us!! Bud&Hayden.PS That Scripts Booth is one nice solid quality auto! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 02:09 am:

Duane, Thanks, I've saved it for later reference. Sounds almost like "snake oil for your truck"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Hoekstra - Katy TX on Monday, June 12, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Here are a couple of more items of interest on the American Wagon Company

Article: American Ingenuity, Unfolding the history of the American Wagon Company

http://www.farmcollector.com/equipment/american-ingenuity

Ebay offerings: 1920 American Wagon Catalogue

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1920-american-wagon-catalogue-what-fabulo us-early-automotive-item-24page-catalogue-was-published-dixon-il-and

https://picclick.co.uk/1920-American-Wagon-Co-Motor-Truck-Bodies-Catalogue-16241 1104810.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162411104810?clk_rvr_id=1230576782016&rmvSB=true

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 - 04:58 am:

Thank you to all of you guys that have posted all of the information on the 8in1 bodies. I haven't been able to find hardly any of the information that has been posted, and I have looked for several years. I did purchase a pamphlet for them a few years ago on ebay, but I haven't been able to find it as yet. I don't know how rare these bodies are, but I have only seen one other like it. It is in the car museum in Murdo SD. That's where I found out it was an 8in1 body, it had the original brass tag on it. I found this one at a farm auction in SW. IA. about 20 years ago. It had been used for livestock feed and had fortunately been kept in a barn. I had no idea what it was until I got it home and cleaned it up and figured out all of the different configurations. I'm so glad that it went to Dallas, as I would probably never have been able to finish the project as it should have been done. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration