Transmission oil screen

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Transmission oil screen
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Hello All,
I hope everyone's getting their T's out now that the never ending rain is finally letting up (at least here in the Northeast)
Was wondering if anyone could recommend the best brand Transmission oil screen and if they're actually worth installing. I've heard some good things about them so I thought I'd add one to my car. I hear a nice sized magnet is a big help too. Thanks in advance for any input!
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 09:38 pm:

Dave, I got mine from Langs. It cam with the magnet. My roadster sat for a long time. The 1st two or 3 oil changes after installing the screen I had to clean all the chunks of carbon and what ever else was in the oil. The magnet was about twice the size it was when I installed it with bite of metal. So fine you couldnt feel them but lots of them. Dont forget an extra gasket . Each time I change oil it gets better.
Good idea if you ask me.
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

This is my first Model T so I was wondering if there's any band or other adjustments I can make while I have the cover off...Hate to waste the opportunity while it's open...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Put one in my recent engine build. At roughly 50 miles I gave it an oil change
and found my magnet had been eaten by a hedgehog ! A dip in some hot solvent
and the air gun returned the magnet to its original "brick" like status, ready for the
next round of metallic debris to be pulled from the passing oil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 11:09 pm:

Same here, after running it a few weeks the magnet was twice the size and looked like it had not had a haircut in months. I wiped off the metal filings it had caught and put it back in. Will re-check this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 12:03 am:

Me too. The 19 engine in my Crappy 24 has never really been touched. 2 years ago I put a screen/magnet in and wowee!
It's amazing how much that magnet catches. This reminds me to check it again!
I have two more to order screens/magnets for.
Buy it from your favorite vendor. :-)
Shoot. If your bands are behaving/in good order, leave 'em. If you need to tweak the brake or reverse bands, tweak/adjust them and try 'em again.
It's only six screws and some fiddling. :-)
Nice short-box pickup!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 12:05 am:

Dave, here's a link to a good screen filter. I agree that you will probably have lots of fuzz after an engine rebuild. I don't agree that its normal to have it on a proper running engine.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3378OSG.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 12:10 am:

A magnetic drain plug is a good idea too, available from most all of the vendors I think. I also have one for the filler plug in the rearend, takes the same plug if I recall correctly. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 08:28 am:

Great info here, thanks to all of you. Anyone know the proper procedure for adjusting the brake band?
Thanks again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 08:34 am:

Tighten the band until the pedal is really firm when depressed to 1 1/2 inches above the floorboard. Be sure that the notches in the adjusting nut "pop" into the raised tangs on the washer. The standard Ford band wrench works OK, but one of these wrenches makes the job easier:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/125943.html?1267139240

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Thanks Mark, I picked up one of those wrenches on eBay last year so I guess I'll finally get to try it! Should I adjust the other bands while I'm in there? Seems to shift and go into reverse fine...not sure here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 08:56 am:

Might as well adjust them all if they need it. The low band should be adjusted to about the same depressed height as the brake band, firm at 1 - 1.5 inches above the floorboard.

I adjust the reverse band so that it is firm when the depressed pedal is even or just slightly above the low and brake bands when they are in their relaxed position (help keeps your foot from getting tangled in the pedals). I also installed one of the reverse pedal extensions available from the vendors.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/491217.html?1415113464

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3439EX.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Dill in Stamford, CT on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 09:03 am:

Dave - Always looking for Model T owners / aficionados nearby. Your comment about the rain led me to your profile and you are pretty close (relatively) to me in Ridgefield. I'm in Stamford, all the way south by the water. It would be nice to meet up sometime - in T's of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Dave, I got mine from Langs. It cam with the magnet. Don't forget an extra gasket. I'm always impress how this filter is efficient to catch metallic debris. I cleaned it up couple times during summer. I also have a magnetic drain plug I bought either at Lang's. I thought it is a good investment if you want to keep trouble away for your engine.

I wish you happy and safe drive. :-)

Mario

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 05:44 pm:

Hi, Sorry for the delay here, I was away for a few days. Thanks for all the great advise. Just bought one with an extra gasket and will install soon. Hopefully these band adjustments will go smoothly.

Charlie, Would love to meet up someday, I'm fairly new to the area so if you know of any Model T shows please let me know.
Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

P. S. Today I opened the inspection plate to adjust my bands after about an hour of break-in running on the new engine. I leave the bands very loose at first. WOW! what a lot of stuff in there. I know the first hours of running produces some wear from new rings etc. But this was nearly what my bi-yearly checks show. These screen are great.
FWIW
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 03:44 am:

I made an inspection plate of MAKROLON . Now I can see when I need to cleen the oil screen
2679M
2680M
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Hoogendoorn on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 05:41 am:

Toon I like your stoplight switch arrangement. What is the other attachment that I can see below the switch? Je bent een zeer knappe jongen!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Wednesday, June 21, 2017 - 07:03 am:

Paul ; That is the main cylinder for the Disk Brakes.- Dat is de hoofd cilinder voor de Schijfremmen.
Toon
630M

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration