Annual Service

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Annual Service
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zeke Danna on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 09:45 pm:

I am getting ready to fire up my T for the season! It sits all winter and I usually get it going in the late spring or early summer again.

I am wondering what you all do to, for the lack of a better term, sort of de-winterize them for the riding season?

The past couple of years I usually...
Change the oil
Flush the radiator
Clean the spark plugs
Fresh gas with some marvel mystery oil
Go through and tighten everything including wheels, exhaust manifold, wires, etc.
Grease job
Carb Clean
Spit shine

After that I am usually good to go.

Am I doing too much or is there something I am missing?

Any insight helps.

Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:14 pm:

50/50 mix anti-freeze. (of course it depends on your winter weather) You should store the T with anti-freeze and use the same for summer driving. Storing drained promotes rust, the inside of the block never really drys out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 12:22 am:

Oof. You got me beat bad Zeke. :-)
I
Check the oil maybe
Hook up the battery (it has a dizzy)
Put water in
Fill gas
go :-)
With that mindless babble said.

This site has a very good checklist on the front page, on the right hand side, just below the contact numbers...
"Operations Manual
Safety Inspection" It's a .pdf.
Another great starting point to make ready for the season.
Never too much.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 03:19 am:

Zeke,

This could be considered overkill but I would suggest reading the attached 12 page file entitled Removing a T from Mothballs. You can then decide what you should attend to based upon your knowledge of the vehicle.

Best of luck, stay safe and enjoy your ride,
Dom

application/msword
REMOVING A T from Mothballs.doc (146.9 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 09:37 am:

Zeke, looks like a pretty complete list to me. Pretty much what I do every spring too. I have a lift, so I put 'em up on that, give a good visual safety check and a good "tickle" by wiping down their bellies!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 09:41 am:

I don't put mine away for the winter! So I wait for rainy days to work on the T... easier that way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 11:56 am:

Check the air pressure in the tires!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Hamlin on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

Check the fan blades for cracks! Mine threw a blade on the way to a show this last weekend. Second time since purchasing this car. The latest was the sealed bearing type being sold by the vendors. Not real easy on my new brassworks radiator.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wilbur Swearingin--Mt.Vernon,MO on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 10:43 pm:

Don't forget to clean, inspect and repack front wheel bearings and races.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, June 09, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

I jack up one front wheel at a time then check it for loose then spin it to see how easy and long it turns.Then i remove the grease cup and add 6 pumps with the grease gun and replace the grease cup.Spin a couple of turns while tightning the cup till tight,and wipe off excess grease.Bud.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration