Need Info - Starter Switch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Need Info - Starter Switch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Stechmesser on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:09 pm:

Hello...I'm going to be taking over the ownership of a 1925 Model T from my grandmother. I was un-winterizing it and went to start it using the electric starter on the floor. I flip the key to battery and hear the coils buzzing. When I press the floor starter nothing happens. No sound, nothing. The coils go silent and nothing. What am I missing? (sorry if this is a simple/silly question)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:26 pm:

Welcome to the forum Scott. :-) Since you said you just took it out of winter storage, i would check the condition and charge of the battery first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

Scott, was you grandmother by any chance named "Mabel"? She was in our club, The Dairyland Tin Lizzies for several years. As the story goes, she always wanted a Model T, and after her husband died, she went and bought one!!!

I don't know if she's still with us, but anyway I want to wish her the best, where ever she may be.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By HARRY A DAW Troy, Mo. on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Scott, get some help from the club she was in. Several will jump at the opportunity to come help. If you have a farm and home store or tractor supply store in the area to find a 6 volt battery. An 8 volt battery will also work without modifications to the starter and generator. Probably an oil change and fresh gas and you can get it going without much effort. Become involved with a club and have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

Scott will need to change the generator cut-out if he goes from 6 to 8 volt battery. I would suggest no changes except for a new battery, until he becomes more acquainted with model T's and then makes an informed choice as to modifications

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, June 07, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

Check that battery AND check/clean all of its connections. :-)
Sounds like a dirty connection/terminal from the negative ground all the way to the starter switch or a really tired battery.
NOT a silly question at all. We've all been there at some point. :-)
Hah! If you get the juice back to your coils, try cranking it if you dare. ;-) AKA "Armstrong starter"...
I have 3 runnable T's here and cranking is the only way to get any of them started.

Check the ignition timing beforehand for safety sake. :-)
Note this tho. If the generator cutout isn't working/gen isn't charging, check things right away.
Keep us informed. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 03:31 am:

I agree with Harry. Avoid uninformed changes. As you're just getting into this, welcome to affliction. Here's some homework for you: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG80.html

A couple of comments on starting. When I bought my 1923 touring the previous owner told me it needed a new starter. When I installed a new battery the starter automatically cured itself. So yes, be sure you have a good battery, fully charged, with all connections clean and tight. That said, starting a Model T should be easy, even without a starter. After all, for the first ten years all Fords came without one. One of the goals in working on one of these cars should be to have it start easily with a slow quarter-turn pull of the crank. If that's not so for your car yet, don't worry. You can get it there.

When you can, post a photo or two of your T. We like pictures.
:-)

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on June 08, 2017)

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on June 08, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Stechmesser on Thursday, June 08, 2017 - 09:56 am:

Thank you everyone for the messages and making feel welcome! I appreciate it!

Keith - that indeed is my grandmother. Her health is deteriorating a bit but still is getting around at 94! The story is true - she bought a Model T and now is passing it onto me. She taught me a couple years ago how to drive it and it was so much fun. I've been learning a lot just in the past couple of days on how it all works. I can see this being a great "extra" thing to do!

To everyone else - I've done all of the typical things like cleaning the spark plugs, new gas, charged the battery etc. The coils are buzzing finally.....I'm thinking that maybe a new battery would be a good thing to try next. The crank isn't helping at this point. That will be the next thing to look into!

Thank you everyone! I'll keep you updated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Stechmesser on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

Update - new battery was the trick. Installed it and after a little cranking and adjusting it fired right up perfectly. Took it for a nice long drive.

Thank you everyone!! I look forward to my new hobby and learning a lot from all of you!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

When do we tell him about how they manage to multiply while sitting in the garage????
:-)
They're sorta like Doritos--you can't have just one. . .!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, June 10, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Scott, Check out our Dairyland Tin Lizzies web site. We have a tech session next Saturday all day, and a casual open house at the Sheboygan County Airport hanger that one of our members has and you are welcome to come. Come modern even if not by Model T. Give me a call or email if you have any questions, etc.
Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, June 11, 2017 - 11:23 pm:

Shh. David, don't tell Scott about the multiplying T effect quite yet. ;-) Hehehehe!
How many can say that our Grandmother taught us to drive a model T... Too cool Scott, too cool.
Glad it's running good for you!
Duane

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration